Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNA) > Discussions

_Communities

17227 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: May 21, 2009 9:42 AM by Chris Buscemi RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

1st exam down, 12 to go

Sep 16, 2008 3:42 PM

Kerry LeBlanc 333 posts since
Jul 29, 2008

Just got back from taking and passing the ICND1 exam. Now, onto ICND2, then four for the CCNP and 5 for the CCVP and then the CCIE (someday).

One thing I did that help me tremendously was when I did the practice exams I always set the time limit for 1 hour. I practiced until I could do the exams in under one hour, when I started the real exam today and saw the extra half hour it relaxed me tremendously. I ended up with 40 questions total and completed the exam in roughly 45 mins. If your wondering, I missed one question.

I suspect the next exam will not be quite so easy, but I will follow the same study path that I did for this one. If anyone is interested I will detail the steps I took for studying.

• Venita: Official Cisco Team 105 posts since
    Feb 19, 2008
    1. Sep 16, 2008 4:35 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)
    Re: 1st exam down, 12 to go

Congrats! I really like your goal setting for the long haul!

Way to go!

• Brandon Svec 35 posts since
    Sep 9, 2008
    2. Sep 16, 2008 5:14 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Congratulations. And, yes, please share a little bit about what study material and methods you used and what you think was useful or not.

b

• Timothy Walsh 44 posts since
    Jul 13, 2008
    3. Sep 16, 2008 5:58 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Congrats on becoming certified, CCENT.

I found the first test to be very easy, which made me cocky and I ended up running out of time on the 2nd test and dropping it as a result. Follow your study plans and you should do great. If CCVP is your goal don't forget you have that new CCNA-Voice test to also complete, unless you can get it all done by June next year. You can also bypass the CCNP and go directly for the CCVP.

• Nicolas MICHEL 164 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008
    4. Sep 17, 2008 1:35 AM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Congrats Kerry !!!!

Please like Brandon said , share with us all your studying experience , it will help A LOT of people (me included)

Mine is scheduled for November

Cheers !

• rama 2 posts since
    Sep 17, 2008
    5. Sep 17, 2008 3:17 AM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Wow, great step for you. Maybe someday you can teach me.

• GSauls 825 posts since
    Nov 3, 2008
    6. Nov 18, 2008 12:52 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Hi Kerry

Congrats on your exam. I like you passion and motivation, very impressive.

The road is long but with your out look success is on the cards.

Keep it up and keep us updated on your progress. i write my CCDP final exam on friday so i understand the long road and it's worth it.

Nicolas did you pass your Exam?

Ciao

Grant

• sanjeev 132 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    7. May 18, 2009 11:14 AM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Hi Kerry

Congrats on passing your exam, I know that you are very determined and all i can say is study hard and go for it, you will definitely get there.

sanjeev

• Currently Being Moderated
    8. May 18, 2009 12:46 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Congrats! Passing is always fun

I've always felt the most confident about Cisco exams where I have plenty of time left over on them.  When I can look at a question, pick out the keywords to identify the real topic they are testing you on - and then selecting the proper answer.  Of course not all questions are simple enough to do that with - but the ones that are, save you gobs of time to allow you to tackle the more intricate quesitons you will invariably find!

10. May 18, 2009 5:33 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

It is an expensive habit, though!   The labs are not cheap! LOL

• kilgore 38 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    11. May 19, 2009 4:56 AM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

I am feeling a little "lost" today. A combination of economy, self doubt, middle age angst<g>. I have never worked in the IT field. I have been playing with computers, Linux,Mac(now) and since a layoff in Dec..Cisco. It all started with a Lammle Book. I said.."I could do this". I had planned on the ICND1/2 route but after listening to Mr Lammle I got the impression that...if I have a weakness, there will be fewer questions.(What logic!) They will be spread out. I can subnet in my sleep.Congratulations on passing yer test my friend. But my question is this..so what?(1) I pass thetest. I am 59 years old. As a prospective employer wouldnt you be inclined to say...."Its a neat accomplishment..but I need experience" Or will/do employers realize that..the CCNA aint no cakewalk. if you passed it...u must be smarter tha the avg duck.(2) How do most of you feel...2 tests or ONE? A concensus. I have a feeling that most will say..two. But Im just fishing alittle here.

12. May 19, 2009 2:33 PM (in response to kilgore)

Knowing the technology and being able to talk my way through questions has always helped make up for whatever lack of experience I have had.  Now that I've been in the industry going on 5 years now I still find that to be true.  I keep pushing for better jobs, going up against stronger candidates, it doesn't ever get any easier my friend!

As for the tests - I wouldn't say either one is more difficult than the other - I took the CCNA back in 2005 when most people took it as one exam.  I would go by your level of comfort - do you know the materials?  If yes - the CCNA is a rough test - so be ready!  However, with the VUE coupon code "COMEBACK2009" you can re-test if you are not successful the first time out.

• 528 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    14. May 19, 2009 4:41 PM (in response to Kerry LeBlanc)

Really good insight Kerry. Thanks for sharing!

Best regards,

Andrew

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)