Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNP) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
17142 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:56 PM by ciscoboy247 RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Differences between EIGRP and OSPF

Nov 10, 2010 1:01 PM

Ali 1 posts since
Nov 10, 2010

Hello All,

I want to know the main differences between EIGRP and OSPF features. Why we need to configure OSPF and why not EIGRP at the same place. Major focus on what benefits we can have with OSFP or EIGRP in comparision of both.

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    1. Nov 10, 2010 2:38 PM (in response to Ali)
    Re: Differences between EIGRP and OSPF

Hello Ali-

Main differences:

EIGRP:

Distance Vector but likes to have neighbors similar to link state.

Supports proportional load balancing.

Proprietary.

OSPF:

Link State

OSPF can carry additional information for an ISP who is doing MPLS Traffic engineering

Open standard

If we run OSPF and EIGRP together, may the protocol that has the longest routes win.     Runner up will be the Administrative Distances.  EIGRP has different ADs for routes, depending on whether they are internal or external, while OSPF stays at 110 for AD.   Both may be changed via configuration.

There isn't a great need to run both protocols at the same time, or even in the same network, if all devices and services support 1 or the other.

Best wishes,

Keith

• Diwakar Sharma -CCNA/CCNP/JNCIA-ER 79 posts since
    Nov 5, 2009

EIGRP is and Advanced distance vector routing protocol which uses DUAL (Diffuse Update Algorithm). Distance vertor protocols are also called  as routing by rumour protocols As they are not entirely aware of  topological information.

Administrative distance (Trustworthiness) : 90 (The lower the better)

Cisco Routers CPU utiliztion will be less if we use this protocol 

Limitation : Its proprietary to Cisco Systems  cant be used in Testing environments where you use Avaya and Juniper Routers to check interoperatibility

OSPF : Dijkstra's algortihm . Link State Protocol.Can be Divided into areas (which is good like stub, Not so stubby, completly stubby.Backbone)

Opensource: used with Avaya and Juno-OS as well

This algo (Dijkstra) will run every time in case their is a change in topology and the CPU utilization or the overhead on router is more

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    3. Nov 12, 2010 12:16 PM (in response to Ali)

Hi Ali

OSPF has areas and virtual-link so you can partition up your route tables. It will also talk to Computers such as IBM Mainframes.

Eigrp is simple. Simple to use and requires no thought.

Regards Conwyn

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    4. Nov 12, 2010 12:18 PM (in response to Ali)

Hi Ali

EIGRP also works with unnumbered interfaces.

Regards Conwyn

• ciscoboy247 5 posts since
    Sep 23, 2010
    5. Nov 12, 2010 12:56 PM (in response to Ali)

Hi Ali,

Here is some of my feedback to your question, based on what I have learned and understood so far.  I have passed my ICND1 (CCENT) and ICND2 (CCNA) and I am busy with my CCNP route studies:

In the event of a network failure EIGRP remembers available backup routes and fails over almost immediately, where as OSPF needs to re-run the SPF algorithm to find any "backup" routes which results in extra processor cycles.

EIGRP cuts out processor cycles by learning only the best routes from its neighbors (routing by rumor) and because of this it does not have an entire view of all the paths to all the networks, it rather has a view of the network based on its neighbors view.  OSPF neighbors send all info to the DR and BDR which then update all of the other neighbors in the area.  This results in all OSFP routers in the area knowing about all the paths to all the networks at the same time and all routers in the area have the exact same view of the entire network.

With OSPF you would need to limit each area to 500 Routers (I think…please check that figure) due to the overhead of the SPF algorithm.  I don’t think EIGRP suffers from a limitation to the amount of routers you can place…this one I am not 100% about (Perhaps one of the CCIE’s could comment on this point).

EIGRP is Cisco proprietary where as OSPF is industry standard and plays nicely with other vendor routers.

In EIGRP you can summarize networks on any EIGRP router in the network however with OSPF you can only perform summarization on the ABR and ASBR routers.

EIGRP supports un-equal load balancing where as OSPF does not.

EIGRP (Distance vector) like RIP has the ability to turn off the auto-summary feature which advertizes networks at their classfull boundary by default.  OSPF does not advertize networks at their classfull boundary, nor does it have the ability to turn this feature on.

Regards

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)