Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > IP Networking (CCENT) > Discussions

_Communities

3809 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 4:04 PM by Legnica69 RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Passed ICND1 first go!

Nov 1, 2010 6:31 AM

davidforde1208 9 posts since
Sep 20, 2010

Howdy! I just passed the ICND1 first go on Friday! I was delighted with myself, I had been doing the questions that came with Wendell's Cisco Press book and I found that they were a little more difficult than the exam (hope I didn't step over any bounderies saying that!?).  So now I am starting the ICND2 now... onwards and upwards!

Dave

• Marcus-Heath 219 posts since
    May 24, 2010
    1. Nov 1, 2010 6:41 AM (in response to davidforde1208)
    Re: Passed ICND1 first go!

Congrats!! I will be taking the CCNA on Wednesday (second time) and I feel very good after all of the studying and the practice. If you don't have packet tracer, I would suggest getting it and practicing your commands it will really help you out if you don't have hardware. Once again congrats and I wish you the best.

• Martin 13,071 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    2. Nov 1, 2010 8:34 AM (in response to davidforde1208)

Congrats,

Did you do Boson Practice test that comes with book?

• kelsonlawrence 169 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    3. Nov 1, 2010 8:47 AM (in response to Martin)

Martin wrote:

Congrats,

Did you do Boson Practice test that comes with book?

Martin,

Boson's practice tests do not come with any study guide.

The practice exam provided with the study guide is provided by the publisher.

The Boson Exam Environment delivers the questions provided by the publisher.

Boson's practice exams are called ExSim-Max and are not bundled with any study guide. However, ExSim-Max is also delivered by the Boson Exam Environment.

Thanks,

Kelson
    Boson Software

• Martin 13,071 posts since
    Jan 16, 2009
    5. Nov 1, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to davidforde1208)

not those, there is a cd-rom with Practice test that you install it on PC.

Register with Boson to get 180 questions or about.

• Currently Being Moderated
    6. Nov 1, 2010 11:37 AM (in response to davidforde1208)

Congrats on passing! Best of luck on ICND2  :-)

• John 2,289 posts since
    Jan 17, 2009
    7. Nov 1, 2010 5:24 PM (in response to davidforde1208)

Congratulations on passing.

Martin is correct there is a CD in the books and a code, if you just have the code you can still download the practice exam from Boson. When i was in Brazil i got my wife to email me the code from my wireless book from the front or back page and with that i could download the exam.

Apr 30, 2010
    8. Nov 2, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to John)

John wrote:

Congratulations on passing.

Martin is correct there is a CD in the books and a code, if you just have the code you can still download the practice exam from Boson. When i was in Brazil i got my wife to email me the code from my wireless book from the front or back page and with that i could download the exam.

John,

The relationship with the Boson Exam Environment and the practice questions included with the study guides is somewhat confusing.

The practice questions included with the study guides are delivered by the Boson Exam Environment or BEE. The BEE is and engine, or delivery system which delivers the questions. However, Boson did not write those questions and that is not a Boson practice exam.

Boson writes practice exams called ExSim-Max (some older ones are called ExSim). These are only available online and are not included with any study guide.

So, does the book come with a practice exam? Yes. Did Boson write that practice exam? No. The practice exam included with the study guides are provided by the book publisher. Boson delivers that practice exam with the Boson Exam Environment.

I clarify this because people often think they have Boson's practice test, when they in fact do not. They have the engine that delivers practice exams, along with the practice questions included with the study guide.

A general rule of thumb: If it came with a study guide, it's not a Boson practice exam, even though it is delivered by the Boson Exam Environment.

This screenshot shows a Boson Practice exam title loaded in the BEE.

bee-product-name-item-number.png

If you have any questions you can DM me and I'll be glad to answer them.

Thanks,

Kelson

Boson Software

• M 496 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010
    11. Nov 3, 2010 10:56 AM (in response to davidforde1208)

Congratulations - got my exam in 3 weeks

• John 2,289 posts since
    Jan 17, 2009
    12. Nov 3, 2010 8:18 PM (in response to kelsonlawrence)

Hi Kelson

We had discussions months back with Brandon Carroll (the author of the Cisco Press Wireless book) about the errors in his practice exam he said he had no control over the content. I can't remember his exact words now but we all assumed it was Boson that created that test exam based on his book.

Looks like we assumed wrong.

Regards

John

ps

I also buy Boson test exams and they create some good practice exams.

Apr 30, 2010
    13. Nov 4, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to John)

Hi John,

I can't speak for Brandon, obviously, but in that scenario, it sounds like 1) Brandon wrote the study guide, 2) a contracted author wrote the practice questions and manages the content and 3) we (Boson) deliver those questions via the BEE. The collaboration creates plenty of room for speculation and assumption as to who produced and manages the practice questions.

Naturally, any purchaser of the book could easily assume that either Brandon or Boson wrote the exam. This usually results in the book purchaser thinking that they have a Boson exam, which they do not.

The results can be unfortuanate for students, because more study options are available to them and they may not realize it, which is one reason why I try to clarify this relationship.

Thanks for the kind words about our products. I'll pass them along to the team.

Kelson

Boson Software

• Legnica69 337 posts since
    Nov 13, 2010
    14. Nov 14, 2010 4:04 PM (in response to davidforde1208)

Congrats !

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)