Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Cisco Networking Academy > Discussions
4667 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 5:06 AM by Addy RSS

Currently Being Moderated

About two data link questions?

Nov 1, 2010 12:46 AM

Attack at dawn 11 posts since
Oct 20, 2010

How many twisted pairs of wires are typically used in a leased line between two routers?

two pairs
three pairs
five pairs
four pairs

Which layer of the OSI model provides translation of data?

application
presentation
session
transport
data link

Hello,Guys!

Above is two quetions that I have done in the learningnetwork website,I am not sure about the two .

First,how many twistes? I just know in lan the rj45 interface will use just 2 twisted pairs.

Second,what does it mean "translation"? translat what?? Does it mean who receive the data and understand the data? of course,it will be application.

Thankyou guy first, want to know how do think the quetions?

• dante.aus 42 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1. Nov 1, 2010 1:06 AM (in response to Attack at dawn)
    Re: About two data link questions?

A leased line consists of a four-wire circuit, or two pairs. One pair is for sending data, the other pair for receiving data.

Not entirely sure, but I believe the second question is referring to the function provided by the presentation layer, which defines and negotiates data formats and deals with encryption.

HTH.

• Addy 105 posts since
    Oct 21, 2009
    2. Nov 1, 2010 5:06 AM (in response to Attack at dawn)
    Re: About two data link questions?

Hi,

A leased line typically terminates using RJ-48C connector & uses 2 pairs of cables:

Cables - 1&2 for Tx Tip & Ring AND 4&5 for Rx Tip & Ring.

Presentation layer is the one that provides translation services in the OSI model. As stated by Dante, it translates data between different text formats, e.g. ASCII to EBCDIC or ANSI or Unicode etc. Remeber, presentation layer is responsible for the "syntax & semantics" of communication, both negotiation & translation.

hth.

Aditya

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)