6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2010 8:25 PM by Jared RSS

NEW EDITION CCDA?

Fabri

Hello all, I would ask information regarding the CCDA. I would like to know when

the code came into force on 640-863? Among the new code when it comes out and then the new

edition? Who can I contact?

is  recommended as a study book, the book:

Top-Down Network Design, 3rd Edition

ISBN-10: 1-58720-283-2
      ISBN-13: 978-1-58720-283-4

Priscilla Oppenheimer 

Thanks for any answers

• 1. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
          rmhango

Hi there,

I'd say if you are not ready to complete this exam before the 7th November, then I'd hold off on any expenditure until the new syllabus has been established and clarified.

At present it is very difficult to tell if Priscilla Oppenheimer's latest edition was the catalyst for change to the current exam, my fear is that as the CCDA has grown in popularity the emphasis may well shift to ILT, as we have already seen with CCNA Service Provider Ops.

However, the current study guides are: -

1. Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) (Authorized CCDA Self-Study Guide) (Exam 640-863) (2nd Edition)
          2. CCDA Official Exam Certification Guide (Exam 640-863) (3rd Edition)

In short, Top-Down Network Design (3rd Edition) is NOT a certification guide, but a very good reference guide, I have been using the 2nd edition of this book as a reference for many years and was informed the 3rd edition incorporated ITIL practices, so would be possibly interested on that basis.

Its Cisco centric, but definately vendor agnostic, I only wish the CCDA was based solely on this book.

Regards,

• 2. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
            Fabri
            I  found it very interesting book by Priscilla because I noticed that reading the  chapters is well organized and not confusing.
            As such,  the comparison of CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration. CCNA  Exploration definitely much better because it is very well structured and not as  the dispersive discovery.
            What  sense does it take the CCDA certification and then read the book  priscilla?
            If  you study the book of Priscilla, you should also take the CCDA certification. While  studying the CCDA exam, or if the Self Study, does not make sense to study the  book of Priscilla, do not you think?

The  reference model should give him the book CCDA Self Study,  right?

You are CCDA  certificate? If  yes, what did you study before? The CCDA  exam and then top-down priscilla?

I  did not understand what you mean by the terms and ILT ITIL?

Service  Operation Center would be very interesting, but I took a look at ciscopress.com  and I noticed that there are books about it.
            • 3. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
              Jared

I was able to score a GlobalKnowledge CD and plan on testing before Nov 8th.  I have also been using a lot of cisco.com docs regarding SONA and design to help.

Typically when there are revisions in a cert, it may be a couple of months before matching material is release, if they release anything at all.  In that case, I would compare the old study material with the new exam objectives, then search cisco.com for docs regarding the new exam objectives.  I have used this approach before when tests have been revised and although you have to put a little more work and effort into studying, it does work!

• 4. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
                rmhango

Ok what I meant by ILT = Instructor Led Training, Cisco are updating CCDA course, Designing for Cisco Internetwork Solutions (DESGN) v2.0 to v2.1 on the 8th of November, I imagine courses will be available from training providers on or after this date, this may well be the only way to get trained on the new topics in the short-term.

ITIL = Information Technology Infrastructure Library, a topic in itself, not at all related to the CCDA, though funnily enough a recommended prerequisite for CCNA Service Provider Ops.

As a Pre-Sales Consultant my role focuses on aligning IT to customer business requirements, hence the need for me to be familiar with ITIL best practices, I read a preview on Priscilla's new book saying that it had been incorporated, hence I refer to this book often to fulfil my job role, which is mainly customer engagement.

I am a former CCDA, not a current one, looking to re-acquire it sometime in the new year, due to recent update annoucement.

Whilst Top-down Network Design, does cover a lot of ground and is very well structured, its insufficient on its own to acquire the CCDA in my opinion.

However, as suggested you could use the existing material and scan cisco.com for other relevent material, another good tool for the current exam is the Boson Exam Environment, which is exam specific, depending on your goals

• 5. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
                  Fabri

Thank you for answers.
                  Honestly,  I have finished the course in ccna academy, but I am preparing for the  exam from the book CCNA Exam CCNA Exploration curriculum and is very  well defined as I have said and organized from A to Z.
                  I  wanted to inform about security certifications CCNA and CCDA and  Service Provider ops that interest me after finishing the exam.
                  Maybe it's a bit early to think about the following certifications.

As a practical material for the CCNA exam should I buy:

- Certification Practice Exam for CCNA 640-802 (Should be the best asset as a practice exam)

- CCNA Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 3rd Edition
                  ISBN-10: 58720-190-9
                  ISBN-13: 978-1-58720-190-5

- CCNA 640-802 Cert Flash Cards Online
                  ISBN-10: 1-58720-221-2
                  ISBN-13: 978-1-58720-221-6

what do you think? you have any suggestions or recommendations?

• 6. Re: NEW EDITION CCDA?
                    Jared

Are you still asking about the CCDA or have you switch over to the CCNA?  Personally, I have found the CCDA to be quite broad in the scope of topics and unless you have experience in other technologies, like voice, wireless and security, I would suggest doing CCDA after some CCNA Concentrations or even CCNP.