Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Security (CCNA Security) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
16246 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Oct 30, 2009 1:47 PM by Arjay RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

CCNA Security Practice Lab ?

Sep 3, 2008 11:04 AM

rnaggi 6 posts since
Jun 5, 2008

I am preparing for the CCNA Security exam and was looking out for perfoming Security Labs ( CCNA security) .

Is there a Lab book or a web site to practice lab online ?

At this point , I dont want to spend $$ for building the lab locally .

• Patrick Lao 150 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    1. Sep 3, 2008 12:45 PM (in response to rnaggi)
    Re: CCNA Security Practice Lab ?

some of the Cisco learning partners offer remote lab rental.... For example, Nil has IINS remote lab rental:

http://www.nil.com/C1257455003A036D/DisplayProduct?open&code=PR_LB_RL_IINS_SUB_1M

This set of lab exercises contains all exercises associated with the Implementing Cisco IOS Network Security(IINS)course. The labs address different aspects of security - from embedding secret messages and scanning networks and hosts,to securing management of and access to Cisco devices using AAA framework,SDM,Cisco ACS,and Kiwi Syslog server. Labs also address Layer 2,Layer 3,and application layer security features,such as ACLs,VPNs with IPsec,firewalls,and IPS.

Apr 17, 2008
    3. Sep 3, 2008 2:24 PM (in response to rnaggi)

I have not tried the Nil CCNA security labs. However, I have tried some of Nil's other labs and they are good.

They provide detail instruction and solution with each lab. And the labs that I have tried were very close to the Cisco Course Labs.

But the price is not that cheap for renting the lab when comparing to just getting a Cisco Press book or etc...

Maybe wait for someone else to reply if they have other experience in remote lab rental....

Apr 17, 2008
    4. Sep 3, 2008 2:25 PM (in response to rnaggi)

http://www.nil.si/C1257455003A036D/html/remote+labs

Want to see what the Remote Lab experience is like?

You can view a prerecorded demo (requires Flash) or experiment with a live lab equipment (requires registration).

maybe try their demo out first to see if you like it....

• B Haines 660 posts since
    Jun 28, 2008
    5. Sep 20, 2008 9:48 AM (in response to Patrick Lao)

I have built my lab and honestly most of the equipment is not that expensive and can be used for CCNP/CCSP studies as well. The problem that I am having is in locating the ACS software etc. I created a post on it "CISCO DOES NOT PROVIDE THE TOOLS". Hopefully, they do and I am just unaware.

The CCNA Security does not require much. You really only need an ISR router. It does not cover PIX or ASA so you can avoid that cost for now. You can get an 851 router for under $200 on eBay and that is all you need other than a server (Can be one of your home PC's) and the ACS software. There is supposed to be a trial but I don't like the thought of that either. Would be nice if Cisco offered something for students!

• benkraus 1 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    6. Oct 1, 2008 1:46 PM (in response to B Haines)

You can try http://www.gns3.net/ for router and pix simulation

Jun 28, 2008
    7. Oct 4, 2008 6:51 AM (in response to benkraus)

If you really want to go the virtual route then..

GNS3 http://www.gns3.net/

Pemu - Available from hacki forum.. Read this:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/14704

Tutorials for both: http://www.blindhog.net

Jun 28, 2008
    8. Oct 4, 2008 7:03 AM (in response to B Haines)

Pemu - Download link!

http://7200emu.hacki.at/viewtopic.php?t=5383

This will allow you to emulate Pix.. Uses PCap (*Nix or Windows) so you can pley with WireShark etc. with this thing.. It's really nice!!!

Have Fun!!!

• Klaus Engelmann 23 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    9. Aug 14, 2009 2:13 PM (in response to rnaggi)

I am looking this one:

CCNA Security Lab Manual (Lab Companion)

ISBN-10: 1587132494

It is available at Amazon.

Online labs I didn't find one suitable yet.

Cheers,

• Chris 811 posts since
    Jul 25, 2008
    10. Aug 15, 2009 8:13 PM (in response to Klaus Engelmann)

I just bought both Cisco Networking Academy books (Lab and Coursebook) for self-study.

Join CiscoPress they have great promotions and their direct price with discounts/free FedEx shipping often beats Amazon!

I wish the Networking Academy was also available online versus needing to go through a brick-and-mortor school...how dated!  Most learning/degrees does not require a traditional brick-and mortar education; and hopefully the Cisco networks we create will supplant most of that need!  That being said, most online degrees cost more than their brick-and-mortar counterparts...how ridiculous!  That is the reason I adore this industry: One's education and proven experience and ability--supplants, at the engineer level anyway, the need for sitting through an over-priced degree program.

We should be taught how to learn when young; then industries should have their own metrics/certifications which determine if we possess the requisite skills.  I love self-study and online learning collaboration---which is what CLN is all about.

• ciscoskeemz 462 posts since
    Jul 10, 2008
    11. Aug 15, 2009 8:39 PM (in response to Chris)

I couldn't agree more Chris.

Smart buy, by the way, just got an email from Amazon this morning regarding the CCNA Security Lab Manual....I originally was going to buy those for my ccna studies, but used Chris Bryant's labs instead, and created some of my own. The companion and lab guide for ccna security look good.....when I'm ready, i'll be picking these up as well.

• GSauls 825 posts since
    Nov 3, 2008
    12. Aug 16, 2009 3:35 AM (in response to Chris)

Hi Chris,

Is it worth looking at the CCNA Security side. If so what do i need in Material? How much time will it take to complete should i start in Two weeks or so?

what Cisco press are you using?

regards,

Grant

• Chris 811 posts since
    Jul 25, 2008
    13. Aug 16, 2009 8:53 AM (in response to GSauls)

Hi Grant,

I want to congratulate you on all of your recent certification successes!!!

CiscoPress--CCNA Security Authorized Self-Study Guide, by Catherine Paquet for more thorough coverage of the topics

Just purchased but haven't received the Cisco Networking Academy---CCNA Security, Lab and Companion guides

Will also purchase a practice exam from either SelfTest---better or Preplogic--serviceable.  Transcender is best, the extra value doesn't justify the extra high price.

I'm doing CCNA Security, then onto CCNP, then CCSP.  I thought you already possess CISSP?

Best Regards,

Chris

• GSauls 825 posts since
    Nov 3, 2008
    14. Aug 16, 2009 11:18 AM (in response to Chris)

Hi Chris,

i haven't done my CISSP. i'm not really a security. the best certification i have for security that i enjoyed was CWSP.... that was alot of reading not to mention i failed the exam twice but got it on the third try.

i think i'm gonna go for my CCDE written first and then i'll tackle the CCNA security. Thanks for the reference materials. i will place an order for those books and labs.

when do you plan to write your CCNA security exam.

regards,

Grant

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)