_Communities

6088 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2008 5:39 PM by James Peifer RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Cisco Labs - Practice

Aug 30, 2008 5:22 AM

sainttm 5 posts since
Jul 31, 2008

Hello All,

Well I have purchased several routers and a switch from eBay (got to love it lol) and now going through some practice labs and come across an issue with the switch.

I can not seem to setup the crypto key on the switch to then setup SSH, there is no crypto command on the switch.

I have a Cisco 2924M-XL, it has IOS version 12.0(5.2)XU

Any advise on is this possible or a work around, would be getting welcomed.

Kind regards

Shane

• Rickey 1,062 posts since
    Jul 3, 2008
    1. Aug 30, 2008 7:18 AM (in response to sainttm)
    Re: Cisco Labs - Practice

You will have to update the IOS. I had the same problem trying to enable SSH on a router. Once we updated the IOS to the appropriate version it worked fine.

• Burak Karabal 53 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    2. Aug 30, 2008 8:50 AM (in response to Rickey)

Actually you need some servers e-commerce SMTP & POP3 and more if you want so you can practise a lot cause some un-identify persons try to attack your server then you have lot to do

• Currently Being Moderated
    3. Aug 30, 2008 6:49 PM (in response to Burak Karabal)

Burak - as best I can tell, he's trying to configure SSH on his devices. This is a login method, where you can "ssh" into a device, the same way you would with a telnet client. I can see where you could get confused, as I've noticed you've just started your self-education with regards to Cisco equipment and networking in general.

And as it's been mentioned - make sure SSH is supported in the code version you're running. If not - time to upgrade.

• Burak Karabal 53 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    4. Aug 30, 2008 7:06 PM (in response to tnewshott)

I will learn, I will

• icewulfie 17 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    6. Aug 31, 2008 11:29 AM (in response to sainttm)

In order to download new IOS you can only do so from Cisco's website. To my knowledge the 2924M-XL switches IOS are publicly available on their site if you have a CCO login. You can get a login for free by clicking on register on the top right of the screen on cisco's site.Technically speaking you cannot put an IOS on a device unless youhave a support contract for this device with Cisco or you are a CCIE. This is why some IOS are blocked unless you have cisco unblock them for you.

http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/

The software for the 2924M-XL is located in Switches Software, LAN switches, Cisco Catalyst 2900 XL series... then your model. You should be getting something like this:

C2900XL LRE IOS IMAGE\

|

c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

Release Date: 10/Apr/2007

C2900XL LRE IOS IMAGE

Size: 1884.53 KB

|Minimum Memory:

DRAM:16MB

Flash:8MB

|

|

C2900XL LRE IOS IMAGE AND CMS FILES\

|

c2900xl-c3h2l9s-tar.120-5.WC17.tar

C2900XL LRE IOS IMAGE AND CMS FILES

Size: 3046.5 KB

|Minimum Memory:

DRAM:16MB

Flash:8MB

|

|

C2900 IOS IMAGE\

|

c2900xl-c3h2s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin

C2900 IOS IMAGE

Size: 1769.44 KB

|Minimum Memory:

DRAM:8MB

Flash:4MB

|

|

C2900 IOS IMAGE AND CMS FILES\

|

c2900xl-c3h2s-tar.120-5.WC17.tar

C2900 IOS IMAGE AND CMS FILES

Size: 2878 KB

|Minimum Memory:

DRAM:8MB

Flash:4MB

|

|

Download, verify the image with MD5 and install away.

By the way, don't bother try the ones you may find with any search engine. You don't know if they have been tainted by someone or not.

I hope I have answered your question.

• icewulfie 17 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    8. Sep 1, 2008 5:08 PM (in response to sainttm)

you need to get the file on the switch this way:

switch> copy tftp://192.168.2.100/nameofimagefile.bin flash:

You may want to experiment with Cisco Network Assistant so that you can just drap and drop the file over the icons of your switches to upgrade them. Nice and simple way to upgrade them without learning anything!

• James Peifer 5 posts since
    Aug 8, 2008
    9. Oct 13, 2008 5:39 PM (in response to sainttm)

You'll need to copy the file to the switch, solorwinds TFTP-Server is free and easy to use. Make sure the basic setup is done prior to, remember you must have an Ethernet connection to the switch and the IP must be able to find it's default gateway.

Switch#copy tftp: flash:

Source filename []: "filename.bin" (make sure you type it exactly as it is, capital letters count, must match)

TFTP-Server location []: IP of tftp Server (on solorwinds, the ip it's using is on the bottom toolbar of the program window)

Destination filename : the source filename should be in the brackets here, just hit enter to keep it. that's the best practice to avoid missing a letter or something...

then you'll see it sending the file, one note, make sure you put the file in the root of the tftp server program. each program you use, will make a TFTP_Root folder on your harddrive, just locate that and ensure that you've put the file in that folder before you start, there is no prompt on the switch to locate the file on your computer... Solorwinds puts a TFTP_Root folder on your C: drive, others are similar but could vary on their exact location.

you may need to delete the old image from the internal flash before uploading a newone though, as i have found 2924 switches to have very small storage internally, so check the available flash size before you start, or you'll find an undefined error driving you crazy.

hope this helps....

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)