5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2010 4:46 AM by Antonello RSS

Eigrp holdtime

Antonello

I am doing a eigrp lab on frame relay.

Can you please explain where I can find default hold time. I didn't change any eigrp default config by the output of sh ip eigrp neighbors give me this:

IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 25
      H   Address                 Interface       Hold Uptime   SRTT   RTO  Q  Seq
                                                  (sec)         (ms)       Cnt Num
      1   172.16.124.2            Se0/0            157 00:18:52   56   504  0  9
      0   172.16.124.3            Se0/0            160 00:19:38   56   336  0  11

For my studies I learn that defaul hold time should be down 15sec. Where I can check the default value?

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Eigrp holdtime
          Brian

Aloha Antonello,

Can you paste the config file.  Also, check that you have the "broadcast" key word on your frame-relay map statements to allow EIGRP multicast packet delivery over the frame relay network.  Also, copy and paste the output of the "sh ip eigrp interface" command.  Thanks.  waiting for your reply.

• 2. Re: Eigrp holdtime
            Chad Spears CCNP CCDA CCNAS

Per the Cisco EIGRP DESIGN GUIDE, the hold times for EIGRP are 15 seconds, and 180 seconds; or 3 times the hello interval.

See below:

EIGRP sends hello packets every 5 seconds on high bandwidth links and every 60 seconds on low bandwidth multipoint links.

• 5-second hello:

• broadcast media, such as Ethernet, Token Ring, and FDDI

• point-to-point serial links, such as PPP or HDLC leased circuits, Frame Relay point-to-point subinterfaces, and ATM point-to-point subinterface

• high bandwidth (greater than T1) multipoint circuits, such as ISDN PRI and Frame Relay

• 60-second hello:

• multipoint circuits T1 bandwidth or slower, such as Frame Relay multipoint interfaces, ATM multipoint interfaces, ATM switched virtual circuits, and ISDN BRIs

The rate at which EIGRP sends hello packets is called the hello interval, and you can adjust it per interface with the ip hello-interval eigrp command. The hold time is the amount of time that a router will consider a neighbor alive without receiving a hello packet. The hold time is typically three times the hello interval, by default, 15 seconds and 180 seconds. You can adjust the hold time with the ip hold-time eigrp command.

HTH,

CS

• 3. Re: Eigrp holdtime
              Deepak

antonello.moneta wrote:

I am doing a eigrp lab on frame relay.

Can you please explain where I can find default hold time. I didn't change any eigrp default config by the output of sh ip eigrp neighbors give me this:

IP-EIGRP neighbors for process 25
              H   Address                 Interface       Hold Uptime   SRTT   RTO  Q  Seq
                                                          (sec)         (ms)       Cnt Num
              1   172.16.124.2            Se0/0            157 00:18:52   56   504  0  9
              0   172.16.124.3            Se0/0           160 00:19:38   56   336  0  11

For my studies I learn that defaul hold time should be down 15sec. Where I can check the default value?

Thank you in advance.

Hi!

Chad's answer is spot on...

As you said you have configured Frame relay and EIGRP hello interval on Frame Relay link is 60 seconds, your output is shwoing Hold time = three times the hello time which comes to 180 seconds. In normal circumstances this hold time will never drop below one hello time (in this case 60 seconds.)

Bold column where you can look for hold time (pretty clear.. )

HTH

Deepak

• 4. Re: Eigrp holdtime
                Severin

Hi Deepak!

That`s just meaning that update has been done 23s ago (180-157)

regards,

Severin

• 5. Re: Eigrp holdtime
                  Antonello