Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > CCIE Routing & Switching > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
7180 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2010 3:20 PM by ASHABU RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

redistribute between Rip and Ospf

Sep 19, 2010 7:37 PM

ASHABU 38 posts since
Jan 24, 2010

Trying to redistribute between Rip and Ospf:

My main problem is in configure R1(please see diagram)

Capture1.JPG

Loopback 1 19.19.11.1 and loopback 0 19.19.1.1 and s0/2  19.19.18.1  should not be advertised by rip, So I made those interface as passive-interfaces for rip, also I applied a disrepute-list to filter them out of interface s0/0, so R3 will not know about them throw rip:

router rip

version 2

passive-interface default

no passive-interface Serial0/1

no passive-interface Loopback2

network 19.0.0.0

distribute-list DISTREPUTELIST out Serial0/1

no auto-summary

ip access-list standard DISTREPUTELIST

permit 19.19.12.0 0.0.0.255

permit 19.19.13.0 0.0.0.255

no I have to redistribute loopback1 into rip, also I have to redistribute the ospf  route into rip,and here it comes the problem: because the distribute list applied to s0/1 in R1, loopback 1 and loopback 0 and s0/2 will be filtered , and R3 will not know about them. The requirement is that R3 should know about those routes as redistributed routes into rip (with a special metric)!!!..can anyone tell me if that’s possible ???and how I can do that???

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,952 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    1. Sep 20, 2010 2:14 AM (in response to ASHABU)
    Re: redistribute between Rip and Ospf

Since those routes are connected from the perspective of this router, you will need to redistribute "connected" as opposed to redistribute "ospf".  If you wish to filter and set a special metric, you should be able do all of this within a route-map. However, there are many other ways to do it as well.

access-list 1 permit 19.19.11.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 1 permit 19.19.1.0 0.0.0.255

route-map connected-to-rip 10

match ip address 1

set metric 10

redistribute connected route-map connected-to-rip

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,396 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    2. Sep 20, 2010 6:54 AM (in response to ASHABU)

If you are only doing ONE set of redistribution, your locally connected routes WILL actually come in.  It's when you start doing multiple things for the router to think about that connected routes are left out and need to be treated separately.

But as was noted, a route-map will allow you to individually "match ip address prefix" as well as "set metric" values different per match.

HTH,

Scott

Jul 18, 2008
    4. Sep 20, 2010 4:36 PM (in response to ASHABU)

I am still struggling a bit to understand exactly what it is that needs to be accomplished.  When we are looking at loop 0 and loop 1 on R1, they must be injected into the route-process with a network statement or a "redistribute connected".  We can't put an interface into a RIP process and expect redistributing that RIP process into OSPF to inject the route into OSPF.  It is a connected route from the perspective of the router, not a RIP route.  Now an interface can be part of a RIP and an OSPF process.  Does that help?

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    6. Sep 20, 2010 9:46 PM (in response to ASHABU)

Hi Ashabu,

RIP doesn't really distinguish between "native" and redistributed routes. The only thing that could be different is if you have route tags set.

If you have specific requirements on the routes metric you can achieve that by route-map or offset-list.

Regards,

Toor

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,396 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    8. Sep 21, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to ASHABU)

Matching based on metric is one way to do it.  Another way (since RIP offers no distinction between internal or external routes) is to use route tags.  Then you can later match on the route-tag (very similar to what BGP does with communities).

The catch, of course, is that you have to use something like redistribution with a route-map in order to "set tag", but after that, at any point within IGPs you can match on it!

HTH,

Scott

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    9. Sep 21, 2010 5:53 AM (in response to ASHABU)

route-map

set metric

or

offset-list

HTH,

Toor

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    11. Sep 21, 2010 12:42 PM (in response to ASHABU)

I think you should get rid of distribute-list and use offset-list out of s0/1 interface.

Regards,

Toor

Jul 18, 2008
    12. Sep 21, 2010 5:20 PM (in response to ASHABU)

I am a bit confused. You state--

ok...this in not the problem . the problem is loop0 and loop1 are filltered with a distribute list out s0/1. this is the problem, the rout map will redistrbute the connected routes then and before the routes go out of int s0/1 those routes will be fillterd and never reach R#3. agin why do i need a distribut list...??? to prevent R1 from sending advirtisment about loop0 and loop1, if we did not use a distrbute list R3 will see those route as normal rip route ..if we did use a distrbuted list loop0 lpp1 will be  filterd in s0/1 and R3 will never know about them????????.. this is my problem...

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying in the first part that you need a distribute list to prevent R1 from sending advertisements about l1 and l0.  However you go on to say that if we did use a distribute list l1 and l2 will be filtered in s0/1 and R3 will never know about them. That seems to me to be the first requirement.  In other words, I am reading this as the requirements are in direct conflict with one another (or I am misreading the problem).

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    14. Sep 22, 2010 5:15 AM (in response to ASHABU)

Hi Ashabu,

Could you let us know what your instructor replies you? Just interesting...

Regards,

Toor

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)