Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCNP R&S Study Group > Discussions
8272 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2010 4:57 AM by Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE RSS

Currently Being Moderated

bandwidth of switch port

Sep 4, 2010 10:05 AM

HI

in switch  when we use command " sh interface <interface name> " . we see that Bandwidth is 100 Mbs.  means  every port can transfer data at 100 Mbps . suppose 24 port are in switch  in all port host are connected.Can Every host  send data 100 Mbs at a time??? . can switch handel this.

regards

Ankush

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Sep 4, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to A.N)
    Re: bandwidth of switch port

You bet it can.  I recommend you do some research on ASICs.

Good luck.

Erick

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,989 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    2. Sep 4, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to A.N)

In most cases all ports cannot transmit at 100Mbp/s at the same time for two reasons.  First, is that most switches have an oversubscribed backplane.  So once the aggregate throughput reaches the speed of the backplane, that is the maximum that can be transmitted per second.  The second reason is that load distribution is not usually so evenly distributed that the more important ports (server, uplinks, etc) are not oversubscribed before other ports are.

Jul 18, 2008
    4. Sep 4, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to A.N)

Changing the bandwidth is only changes the reference point for stuff like qos.  Changing the "speed" actually forces the port to operate at a given speed (i.e. 1000, 100, or 10).

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,398 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008

PacketU wrote:

In most cases all ports cannot transmit at 100Mbp/s at the same time for two reasons.  First, is that most switches have an oversubscribed backplane.  So once the aggregate throughput reaches the speed of the backplane, that is the maximum that can be transmitted per second.  The second reason is that load distribution is not usually so evenly distributed that the more important ports (server, uplinks, etc) are not oversubscribed before other ports are.

A very good point, and important thing to pay attention to.  But not always true.

Some line cards/switches ARE capable of every port working at wirespeed simultaneously without killing anything.  You need to look at the port:asic ratio.  If an ASIC is controlling 6 ports, that means that combined, those 6 physical ports can send at 100M (or 1000M depending on switch port speed), and it really doesn't matter which port does which, but all at the same time won't happen.

Cisco has switches/linecards that work at 8:1, 6:1, 4:1, 2:1 and 1:1 (there used to be some 12:1, but I think they're all gone now).  Just be aware of what specific device you are putting into your network design and what your specific intention (use) needs to be for them!

Remember, there's the whole idea of statistical multiplexing (odds of all devices transmitting at full speed all the time at the same time) that often "hides" this disparity.  And MOST people really don't need to worry about it in their networks because of those statistics.  But IF you really need all ports at full speed (givin' her all she's got, Captain), then be prepared to pay for it!

As Paul states though, plan your bottlenecks appropriately!  100 workstations with 1gig ports trying to go out a 10M internet connection sucks if anyone tries to go full speed. 

Scott

• Brian 2,968 posts since
    Aug 17, 2009
    6. Sep 4, 2010 7:40 PM (in response to A.N)

Yes, most new Cisco switches (2950, 2960, 3550, 3560, 3570) have a 32Gbps switching backplane, and the 24-port 10/100/1000 Mbps versions of these popular switches can handle this load with no problem.  The 48-port versions will not (48Gbps all ports vs 32Gbps backplane).  The Cisco 6500 series can have switching backplanes as high as 720 Gbps.  However, as both Scott and Paul alude to, the chances of all ports operating at full wirespeed at the same time at any given time, is highly unlikely.  When planning your switching design, pay attention to what Scott was saying about bottlenecks.  In regards to planning any network design, remember the 3-Ps, Proper, Planning Prevents, Pi$$, Poor, Performance.

HTH

Oct 7, 2008
    7. Sep 5, 2010 5:58 AM (in response to Brian)

With the 6500, you even have to look at linecard specifics...

the 6148, for exam is NOT  a line-rate card.  The 6748, however, is.

Scott

Jul 18, 2008

Also, with the 3750 and the 3750-X, my understanding is every frame hits the stack ring.  So it is the stack that is limited to 32Gbps or 64Gbps respectively.

Oct 7, 2008

The stack ring is merely an extension of the backplane, so that would stand to reason.  I'm not entirely sure that EVERY frame has to traverse it though if locally terminated, although I could be wrong on that.   I've never really sat to think about it since the 32G (64G if you are doing marketing math) is significantly faster than any etherchannel we could create there anyway, so I never really cared. 

Scott

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)