Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > CCIE Security > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered
6012 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2010 6:55 PM by Paul Stewart - CCIE Security, CCSI RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Error connecting to sensor

Sep 4, 2010 8:38 AM

ab 32 posts since
Sep 4, 2010

Hi guys,

I tried opening IPS tab in ASDM and its giving error " error connecting to sensor". I checked the connectivity & access.. it is fine..i can ping the mgmt IP of sensor from ASA. pls let me know what next i can do?

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    1. Sep 4, 2010 7:55 PM (in response to ab)
    Re: Error connecting to sensor

Hi guys,

I tried opening IPS tab in ASDM and its giving error " error connecting to sensor". I checked the connectivity & access.. it is fine..i can ping the mgmt IP of sensor from ASA. pls let me know what next i can do?

Hello -

I believe the HTTPS session that is launched to the IPS, when you click on the IPS tab of ASDM, is actually between the PC you are sitting at, and the sensors command and control IP address.   Make sure the access-list (permitted hosts) on the IPS includes the IP address of the PC you are managing from.

Keith

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,952 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    2. Sep 4, 2010 8:45 PM (in response to ab)

What Keith is saying is a very good and valid point.  I'd also add that on occasion, I have had issues with AIP's that presented this way.  In which case, I have typically been able to ssh to the ASA then session into the AIP (session 1).  Then a reboot usually has worked for me.  If 1) your pc has access to the AIP as Keith suggested, and 2) you cannot session in and reboot the ASA, you can try doing one of the following from the ASA CLI.

hw-module module 1 reload

--or--

hw-module module 1 reset

Be aware that depending on if you are in fail-close mode that traffic flow can be affected.  I have also noticed that it can cause an ASA to go into standby if there is a A/S failover configuration.

• Keith Barker - CCIE RS/Security, CISSP 5,351 posts since
    Jul 3, 2009
    5. Sep 10, 2010 1:30 PM (in response to ab)

Thanks for all the help extended by you..I am now able to access IDM  when  i connect  to VPN client.. I have one more issue..when i access the ASDM from internet using outside public IP of ASA..i still not able to access IPS TAB. could you pls suggest any workaround on this.

You could use outside nat, and translate traffic destined towards the IPS to a local address, and then tell the sensor that the local address is allowed access to the sensor.  You may want to do authentication of the HTTPS for that session at the firewall.

Keith

• Paul Stewart  -  CCIE Security, CCSI 6,952 posts since
    Jul 18, 2008
    6. Sep 10, 2010 6:55 PM (in response to ab)

You might want to make the IPS IP address available through a VPN and connect to the VPN prior to clicking on the TAB.  That would resolve your issue and keep the addressing consistent.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)