Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > IP Networking (CCENT) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
5453 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2008 8:40 AM by Burak Karabal RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Router config

Aug 19, 2008 2:34 AM

sammaino 9 posts since
Aug 11, 2008

How much router config do you have to know for the ICND1 (CCENT) exam. I'm learning from the official Cisco book and am worried I won't get any time to practice on a physical router.

Is there a set list of commands a candidate should know?

Sorry for the vagueness of the question?

Sam.

• Jordan Mazurke 14 posts since
    Jun 30, 2008
    1. Aug 19, 2008 3:19 AM (in response to sammaino)
    Re: Router config

Hi Sam,

Unfortunately, I do not know the specifics of the ICND1 exam but I have passed the CCNA and i can say that there is a great deal of router and switch configuration involved. Basically, I would start looking at these as soon as possible so that you give yourself the best opportunity of passing both this exam and the ICND2.

This is of course based on the presumption that you are going to take the ICND2 - if not just ignore me!

Thanks and good luck

• Kerry LeBlanc 333 posts since
    Jul 29, 2008
    2. Aug 19, 2008 6:29 AM (in response to sammaino)

Which Cisco books are you using? The two book set by Wendell Odom? It does a good job of giving the key topics to study for each exam. The description of the test at this link will give you an isea of what you really need to know. http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html

Just go look at the routing section and you should be able to figure out what you need to do to complete each step as far as steps and commands. You can also pick up the Command Guide for the exam. Plenty of people have passed the exams without logging into the actual euipment. It is helpful, but not mandatory. The Cisco books are designed to be complete for what you need to pass the exam.

Good luck!

• Burak Karabal 53 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    3. Aug 24, 2008 7:58 AM (in response to sammaino)

Ethernet devices implement only the bottom two layers of the OSI protocol stack, they are

typically implemented as network interface cards (NICs) that plug into the host device’s motherboard.

The different NICs are identified by a three-part product name that is based on the physical layer

attributes.

The naming convention is a concatenation of three terms indicating the transmission rate, the

transmission method, and the media type/signal encoding. For example, consider this:

• 10Base-T = 10 Mbps, baseband, over two twisted-pair cables

• 100Base-T2 = 100 Mbps, baseband, over two twisted-pair cables

• 100Base-T4 = 100 Mbps, baseband, over four-twisted pair cables

• 1000Base-LX = 100 Mbps, baseband, long wavelength over optical fiber cable

A question sometimes arises as to why the middle term always seems to be “Base.” Early versions of

the protocol also allowed for broadband transmission (for example, 10Broad), but broadband

implementations were not successful in the marketplace. All current Ethernet implementations use

baseband transmission.

• shanekillian 230 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    4. Aug 27, 2008 7:50 AM (in response to sammaino)

Probably not a bad idea to take a look at dynamips/dynagen or GNS3.

See PDF Attached.

• Keith Fulcher 8 posts since
    Jun 29, 2008
    5. Aug 27, 2008 8:05 AM (in response to sammaino)

You need to feel comfortable with the IOS. I suugest that visit one of the schools, where you can get hands on..... in the minimum you should get one of those simulators (I used Boson).

• Burak Karabal 53 posts since
    Aug 23, 2008
    6. Aug 27, 2008 8:40 AM (in response to sammaino)

Actually if you entering the network at your first time you don't need to learn all the routing configs & troubleshooting because you won't be able to understand all the details coming with routing so I will suggest to you learn how to routers work in the networking platform that would be your first step in your ICND1 exam..

Good Luck

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)