Currently Being Moderated

Ipsec bandwith problem

Aug 20, 2010 2:51 AM

nature 25 posts since
Jun 28, 2008

Hello everyone

I hope U are doing  well

I have got one problem with ipsec isakamp

so I have 100 mb  speed with my branch office its  work good without ipsec I mean when I  remove crypto map  from interface it work as usual but with crypto map bandwith is very low  about  5mb between branch office   and  Core

what can be the  problem is there any idea?

here is  my config file:

Branch Office: cisco 2811

crypto isakmp policy 1
hash md5
authentication pre-share
!
crypto isakmp policy 2
hash md5
authentication pre-share
crypto isakmp key 6 (preshared) address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
crypto isakmp key 6 (preshared) address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
!
crypto isakmp peer address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
!
crypto isakmp peer address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
!
!
crypto ipsec transform-set cardipsec esp-aes esp-md5-hmac
!
crypto map (name) 2 ipsec-isakmp
set peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
set transform-set cardipsec
set pfs group1
match address 102
!
crypto map (name) 1 ipsec-isakmp
set peer xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
set transform-set cardipsec
set pfs group1
match address 101
!
!
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.1
description Wan to local$ETH-LAN$

encapsulation dot1Q 59
ip address xxx.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx  255.255.255.0

no snmp trap link-status

crypto map (name)
!
interface FastEthernet0/0.2
description Millic
encapsulation dot1Q 127
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.128

no snmp trap link-status
crypto map (name)
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
description local
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252 secondary
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252 secondary
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.0
ip access-group 2 in

duplex auto
speed aut

Core side: 3com router

ike peer (peer name)
pre-shared-key (preshared)
remote-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxxx
local-address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

ipsec card-proposal cardipsec
use encrypt-card 5/0
esp encryption-algorithm aes 128

ipsec policy(name) 1 isakmp
security acl 3101
pfs dh-group1
ike-peer (name)
proposal cardipsec

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    1. Aug 18, 2010 11:20 PM (in response to nature)
    Re: Ipsec bandwith problem

Hi Nature

Does the 3Com support ESP-NULL. It might be worth trying it to see if it an encryption engine processing problem.

Regards Conwyn

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    3. Aug 19, 2010 5:26 AM (in response to nature)

This could also be fragmentation problem. Do your end-user devices support PMD?

Regards,

Toor

• Conwyn 7,914 posts since
    Sep 10, 2008
    5. Aug 20, 2010 3:17 AM (in response to nature)

Hi Nature

PMTUD (Path MTU discovery) adjusts the maximum IP size so it does not fragment

Regards Conwyn

[http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_modules/misc/Archive_-6342/6342prep.html ]

Fragmentation

Avoid fragmentation at all costs. Packet reassembly is resource intensive from a CPU and memory allocation perspective, and decreases network performance. Allowing fragmented packets into your network also creates security concerns. Fragmented IPSec packets require reassembly before the packets can undergo integrity validation and decryption.

Fragmentation can typically be avoided, as it usually occurs when an encapsulated packet, sent over a tunnel, is too large to fit on the smallest link on the tunnel path. As long as filtering does not block the Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) messages, path maximum transmission unit discovery (PMTUD) will determine the maximum MTU that a host can use to send a packet through the tunnel without causing fragmentation.

To allow PMTUD in your network, do not filter ICMP message Type 3, Code 4. If ICMP filtering occurs and is out of your administrative control, you will have to either manually set the MTU lower on the VPN termination device and allow PMTUD locally, or clear the Don't Fragment (DF) bit and force fragmentation. In this scenario, packets generated by hosts that do not support PMTUD, and have not set the DF bit in the IP header, will undergo fragmentation before IPSec encapsulation. Packets generated by hosts that do support PMTUD will use it locally to match the statically configured MTU on the tunnel. If you manually set the MTU on the tunnel, you must set it low enough to allow packets to pass through the smallest link on the path. Otherwise, the packets that are too large to fit will be dropped, and if ICMP filtering is in place, no feedback will be provided.

Remember that multiple layers of encapsulation will add layers of overhead to the packet. For example, GRE and ESP tunneling protocols are used together frequently. In this scenario, GRE adds 24 bytes of overhead to the packet before it undergoes encapsulation again by ESP. ESP, when using 3DES and SHA, then adds 56 bytes of additional overhead. Use of ESP and GRE to support PMTUD reduces the likelihood of fragmentation.

Depending on the VPN termination device, the manner in which you should set the MTU on the tunnel varies. Options include changing the MTU through the tunnel interface (routers), the TCP maximum segment size (firewalls), policy routing (routers), clear/set/copy DF bit (routers), OS application level (VPN clients), and physical/logical interfaces (any VPN device).

• toor 453 posts since
    Sep 22, 2008
    6. Aug 20, 2010 5:41 AM (in response to Conwyn)

Hi Conwyn, Nature,

Yes, that is what I've had in mind. Here is one more article regarding packet fragmentation and IPSec: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/services_modules/vspa/configuration/guide/ivmvpnb.html

Regards,

Toor

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)