8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2010 10:57 PM by Sheju RSS

Intervlan routing in packet tracer

Sheju

Hi everybody,

i have created lab for intervlan routing in packet tracer 5.2

i have query when i enter the command ip routing/no ip routing i am still able to ping each
      device in network except 172.16.1.1 which is internet router....
      also i am not able to ping 172.16.1.1 which is internet routerfrom any of the device except
      backbone switch, do i needs to enable trunk on fa 0/1 on Backbone switch...

attachment is the .pkt file.....

Note(Change extension of file to pkt)

thanks in advance..

• 1. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
          Sal

The following two command on the router will fix:

Internet_Router(config)#ip route 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.2
          Internet_Router(config)#ip route 10.1.3.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.2

PC>ping 172.16.1.1

Pinging 172.16.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 172.16.1.1: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=254
          Reply from 172.16.1.1: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=254

configurint a truck between the Core Swich and the Int. Route is not required as inter-vlan routing is handled at the core multi-layer switch.

• 2. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
            Sheju

Hi sal,

its working fine but i have more queries

1) what is the need of Management_Vlan & we assigned 10.1.10.0 IP's to Switches.
               should it be used for accessing switch remotely to configure or just assigning ip to switch as identity.

2) what if our company  having 800+ user in single lan with 20+ switches & 10-20 Vlans configured
               should we keep assigning vlans port by port basic or Svi will work with other user configured
               ip addresses only for each subnets...
               ex = vlan 2 -> 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0, svi = int vlan 2 , ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.0
                    client ip addressing 10.1.2.2 10.1.2.254 with default gateway 10.1.2.1
                    no need to know each individual ports to particular vlan

or anyother way to accomplish this as problem arises as no.of users continously grow

means no needs to enter individual ports saying
            int fast ethernet 0/1
            switchport mode acccess
            switchport access vlan xyz

just to minimize administrative task

i accomplished lab using Cisco intervlan routing example

needs help thanx for support

• 3. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
              Sal

hi

1) yes, Management Vlan is for Management as it states. you can run your telnets, SSH, SDM etc remotely. You can send yor SNMP and Syslogs sourced from this interface as well.

2) 10 switches/10 vlans for 800 users would be fine .. Cisco recommends not more than 250 users in a subnet. To reduce admoin tasks try not to scatter your vlans. Use a Local-Vlan approach. On each switch one accees-vlan (data) and one Voice-Vlan (Auxilary). and use the interface range command.

Otherwise to accomodate moves and relocations of users use VMPS (Vlan Management Protocol Services) and let the ports aquire the access-vlan dynamically according the user profiles.

Regards

• 4. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
                Sheju

local vlan means 10 switches each switch having one vlan so 10 vlans.

theses 10 vlans is routable by layer 3 switch using ip routing .

there will be 10 subnets if we use SVI, is svi optional ? some doubts

means if vlan separates departments why do we need separate subnets question in mind since long,

thanx for reply u r help is appreciated deeply, as i finished books but real world experience is some confusing

• 5. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
                  Sal

The CCNP Quick Ref. Guide is a good read. I suggest getting it. Here's somethings related to what we are taking about. I am sorry that they did not upload in the correct order !!

Snap_2010.08.10 21.46.57_002.jpg

Snap_2010.08.10 21.47.37_003.jpgSnap_2010.08.10 21.46.23_001.jpg

• 6. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
                    Sheju

thanx sal for your kind support.......

if you finds examples best to understand difference between local & end to end vlan will be helpful....

• 8. Re: Intervlan routing in packet tracer
                      Sheju

Hi Sal,

Thanx in advance, i was not online since last 3-4 days.....