Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > Routing & Switching (CCNP) > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 1 Helpful Answer available (2 pts)
31484 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2008 3:00 PM by Jim Woodward RSS

Currently Being Moderated

BGP Soft-reconfiguration inbound

Jul 10, 2008 11:04 AM

OutspokenMime 9 posts since
Jul 8, 2008

Anyone have any opinions on the use of this configuration? The only use I have found for it is being able to see results in a "show ip bgp neighbor x.x.x.x received-routes" output. Is this something that is best used as a troubleshooting tool and left off BGP configurations until needed, much like keeping cdp disabled on most devices for security purposes and then enabling it to help troubleshoot on ocassion? Thanks in advance for any input.

• Jim Woodward 14 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    1. Jul 10, 2008 5:45 PM (in response to OutspokenMime)
    Re: BGP Soft-reconfiguration inbound

Hi,

Darrell Root has some great podcasts that go over BGP and especially touch on Soft-reconfiguration inbound at:

http://www.ciscohandsontraining.com/

My understanding is this:

When you apply policy changes, they are only applied on routes that are learned after the policy changes have been enacted. This is because BGP is most frequently implemented on links that connect to other ASes - and you can't just force an ISP or another organization to resend their BGP routing table to you. You can force this by running "clear ip bgp *" (every BGP neighbor) or "clear ip bgp A.B.C.D" - but these clear commands actually tear down connections between neighbors and cause communication to cease until the neighbor relations are rebuilt. In the real world where BGP is run - this is a bad thing.

When you perform the "neighbor A.B.C.D soft-reconfiguration inbound" router command - it shuts down the connection (just like a hard reset). When the neighbor resends you it's routing table, BGP stores a copy of the received routing table in memory. This 2nd copy takes up memory, but it serves a useful purpose. Now, when you apply policy changes to a neighbor or out a particular interface, you can configure "clear ip bgp * (or A.B.C.D) soft in" and run the saved copy of the neighbor's routes through your new bgp policy filters. You can make policy changes all you want and your neighbor never has to resend you its routing table, and you never have to tear down the connection between you and disrupt network communication.

EIGRP, OSPF, RIP, IGRP - If you apply a policy change (ACL, Distribute List, Route Map, whatever) - that change takes place instantly (instantly + the time to propogate the change and implement the policy). BGP acts differently - it waits until it receives new routes through its new filters. That's why the "soft-reconfiguration inbound" command was created.

Check out the podcasts - I think they're great.

Good luck!

Jim Woodard

• Jim Woodward 14 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    3. Jul 17, 2008 3:00 PM (in response to OutspokenMime)
    Re: BGP Soft-reconfiguration inbound

No problem Malcolm - I hope the reply helped and I'm glad you appreciate the podcasts - they are awesome!

Take care!

Sincerely,

Jim Woodward

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)