Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > Certifications > CCIE Routing & Switching > Discussions

_Communities

This Question is Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts)
9626 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2008 7:47 AM by tnewshott RSS

Currently Being Moderated

What do you prefer: Study alone or study in groups?

May 2, 2008 5:23 AM

Richard Driesen 2 posts since
May 2, 2008

I just passed on my CCIE R/S test. People around me asked about the study experience and I realized the great importance of study in small groups. People can share material, talk abouts doults and encourage each other.

What do you think about this?

• ecbanks 1 posts since
    May 16, 2008

I did the majority of my studies alone. I might have tried some form of group study, but there was no one local to me that was preparing. I'm not sure that a group would have helped me out or not. I spent some time at a CCIE bootcamp, where the class members engaged in technology discussions from time to time. Overall, I didn't gain too much from those conversations. They didn't hurt, but at the same time I could have gotten by without them.

I made my biggest study gains when I locked myself away in the boiler room and hunkered down with no music, no Blackberry, and no e-mail. When I ran into topics I didn't understand, I'd read the text again, read alternate explanations, and/or lab it out until I "got it". Would I have done as well in a group? I'm not sure.

• Bahram Chaboki 3 posts since
    May 29, 2008

If the people in the group have a good and solid understanding of the technologies then for sure it is a very good idea to study with them but if they have a wrong understanding then God helps you ha ha.

• John Welsh 6 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008

I did a combination when studying for my CCIE Voice exam and I think that the group really helped, but not if it was too large. When there were about three people total in our group it was a great experience because everyone had background knowledge in separate technologies and it was good for everyone to encourage each other. If you get too large though, you have too many questions and the study sessions take a lot longer than with three.

• 1 posts since
    Jun 13, 2008

I prefer to do most of my study alone, particularly on a practice lab. It is helpful to have others in a group to come up with sample scenarios and questions to solve. You come up with a problem and give it to a partner to solve, and have them do the same for you to solve. Comparing notes afterwards gives insight as to different ways to accomplish the objective which can be useful in the lab.

• You Sek Park 2 posts since
    Jun 15, 2008

I think studying in a group is better than studying alone.

If you study alone, sometimes you get limited information and can't find some mistakes.

I would recommand candidates to try to organize one's knowledge first then get in a group to complete their preparation for exam.

• Leigh Harrison 6 posts since
    Jun 11, 2008

Hey there. I think this is a good question and depends on how you learn best. I enjoy being part of study groups and having people to bounce ideas off, etc, but I find that I get the most work done when studying alone, locked away in a room.

Don't get me wrong though, I've done a lot of studying in the past and would not have been able to pass some of the exams I have without the wisdom and encouragement of others. When working on paper exams, being locked away until the information is drilled in is ideal, but when working on the CCIE lab, the saying goes: "if there's 3 ways to do something, you need to know all 4 for the CCIE lab" and you may only be able to think of 2...

A group is very important as they will be going through the same experience as you, both technically and socially. This is very important when it come to the high end exams that require you not speaking to "normal!" people for long periods of time.

LH

•  

I think a combination approach is best for me. I need time to work with the topics, to try to wrap my mind around them on my own, as this is the best way for me to learn. However, there are other times where you hit a wall and group study can expedite the process if you have the right kind of folks working with you.

So far my studies have been solitary.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)