4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2019 9:29 AM by Re Ce RSS

How to verify if virl license is still active

Re Ce

Is there a command I can run to check the validity of my license file?  More specifically, to verify whether or not my license has expired?  I no longer have my order information.  I suspect my license may have expired.  I am trying to verify before I make a purchase.  I have verified my server is listening and can reach the SALT server.  However, my simulation no longer works and my icons are gray with "?" marks:

This is displayed in the Problems:

(WARNING) [Nov/14/2019 05:22:21] Cisco contact was not established. This may be temporary.

Please make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master.

Also make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid.

Current status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago.

Last license renewal final result was (2019-11-04 05:55:38): Call was successful.

(INFO) [Nov/14/2019 05:22:30] simulation "3NodeSample-9av59w": nodes can start

I verified the following:

My server is listening:

ank-cisco-webserver listening on port 19401

STD server on url http://localhost:19399 is listening, server version 0.10.35.35

UWM server on url http://localhost:19400 is listening, server version 0.10.35.35

Webmux server on url http://localhost:19403 is listening

Redis server on 127.0.0.1:6379 is listening

I can reach the SALT servers:

virl@atl0avirt001:~$ ping vsm-us-51.virl.info

PING vsm-sjc-15-1.virl.info (128.107.225.216) 56(84) bytes of data.

64 bytes from 128.107.225.216: icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=60.9 ms

64 bytes from 128.107.225.216: icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=60.8 ms

64 bytes from 128.107.225.216: icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=60.7 ms

I have a license file:

virl@atl0avirt001:~$ sudo salt-call --local grains.get id

local:

XMVcjt0Y.virl.info

However, I think I am no longer to authenticate:

virl@atl0avirt001:~$ sudo salt-call test.ping

How to verify if my license is still valid?

How to renew and update a new license?

• 1. Re: How to verify if virl license is still active
          Eric

The only way I can figure out how to see mine is through the Cisco Learning Network Store which shows me when I placed the order. Would either of these commands help you with more information?

sudo virl_health_status

sudo salt-minion -l debug

• 2. Re: How to verify if virl license is still active
            Re Ce

Thank you Eric for those two commands.  They provided a lot of valuable information.  Since I didn't run this command when I first activated the License, I am uncertain as to what to look for.  Here is a snippet using the first command "sudo virl_health_status":

STD server licensing:
            product-unlicensed : Cisco contact was not established. This may be temporary.
            Please make sure the VIRL server is connected to the Internet and capable of reaching the configured Cisco master.
            Also make sure that the minion key provided to you matches your minion ID and domain, and remains valid.
            Current status is: Last successful license renewal was more than 7 days ago.
            Last license renewal final result was (2019-11-04 05:55:38): Call was successful.

AutoNetkit services:
            virl-vis-processor running
            virl-vis-mux running
            virl-vis-webserver on port 19402 is down
            ank-cisco-webserver listening on port 19401

Salt Ping: Failed

Here is a snippet using the second command "sudo salt-minion -l debug":

[CRITICAL] The Salt Master has rejected this minion's public key!

To repair this issue, delete the public key for this minion on the Salt Master and restart this minion.

Or restart the Salt Master in open mode to clean out the keys. The Salt Minion will now exit.

**** I think from those snippets, I can conclude that my license has expired.  Do you agree?  What is behavior when the License is expired?  Would an expired license cause the issues I color in red?

I greatly appreciate the information you provided.  Can you or anyone else answer these questions before I proceed with buying a new license?

-Thanks-

• 3. Re: How to verify if virl license is still active
              Karlo Bobiles

Hello Re Ce,

Definitely a great question to ask, I'll forward this over to the VIRL Team for further insight. From my understanding, the commands Eric posted would definitely aid in determining if a license file was indeed active or expired.

As an alternative, you could also email the Cisco Learning Network Store  to check status. The email address is storefeedback@external.cisco.com

We would require as much of the following information:

CCO ID Used to Purchase VIRL

Email Address

License File Name (Ex. ABC123.virl.info)

Order Number

Also, I just checked your license based on the information posted here, your license is indeed expired as of August 6, 2019.

Thank you,

Karlo Bobiles

Cisco Learning Network

• 4. Re: How to verify if virl license is still active
                Re Ce

My license had expired.. I purchased a new license, installed it and it is now working..

Thanks everyone for your assistance..