10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2019 2:26 AM by ciscodaze1 RSS

How STP work with speed Mismatch

Mohamed

Hi CLN

Untitled.png

on this topology , SW-2 only supports Legacy Ethernet ports which is 10Mbps speed

what will make SW-1 will change all his ports to be like this :-

F0/0 100Mbps ---------------------> 10Mbps , Half

F0/1 100Mbps ----------------------> 10Mbps , Half

G0/2 1000Mbps ------------------> 10Mbps ,  Half

STP will use costs on SW-1 based on  100Mbps  = 4  and 1000 Mbps  = 2 ? OR after auto nego works with 10Mbps which is cost = 100 ?

clin

• 1. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
          Parvesh

Hi Mohamed,

The Spanning Tree Cost Value is inversely proportional to the associated bandwidth of the path and therefore a path with a low cost value is more preferable than a path with high cost value.

Path Cost is accumulated port costs from a switch  to reach the Root Switch.  The switch receives a Bridge Protocol Data Unit (BPDU) generated by Root switch at its port, it increments the path cost with the cost of the incoming port.

how is the cost calculated ? how are port roles selected ?

Ans - See this :

https://networklessons.com/spanning-tree/spanning-tree-cost-calculation.

Spanning Tree Path Cost Value and How is Spanning Tree Path Cost Value Calculated

Remember - bandwidth of the interface, post autoneg is the local value to STP used while calculating accumulated cost to Root. This is communicated using BPDUs.

Happy to discuss further.

• 2. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
            Martin

note from previous post, if you start messing with speed of a link, link may be down;  so be careful.

but if interface is up and you  have 1 Gig on sw 1 and 100 on sw 2  (or 100 -vs 10), switch will agree on the lower speed of two speeds and set STP cost respectively.  Port cost is Speed of interface that is towards the Root switch.

I think cost vales are as follow:

10 Mbps = cost is 100

100Mbps  = 19 

1000 Mbps  = 4

10 Gig = 2

• 3. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
              Mohamed

Martin

Thanks martin , but i think you still don`t understand my question yet

look , my question is :-

interface G0/2 before run (auto-negotiation) has cost = 2 because speed =1000Mbps ,  and after run (auto-negotiation) speed will be lower and will 100Mbps

my question :-

Does STP care about this change of speed ? i mean which one STP cost will choose ? before OR after the (Auto nego) running ?

• 4. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                Ing_Percy

Hi!

STP cost is after negotiation of links

I implemented a topology with real devices:

stp-link1.JPG

SB_P06_A#sh run int g0/24

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 163 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/24

description Link_SBORJA_P06_B

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 96

switchport mode trunk

end

SB_P06_B#sh run int f0/24

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 116 bytes

!

interface FastEthernet0/24

description SBORJA_P06_A

switchport trunk native vlan 96

switchport mode trunk

end

Both switches have the speed and duplex as auto. Then, when I connected the switches between them:

SB_P06_A#sh int g0/24 status

Port                Name                        Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Gi0/24    Link_SBORJA_P06_B  connected    trunk          a-full   a-100 10/100/1000BaseTX

SB_P06_B#sh int f0/24 status

Port          Name                          Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Fa0/24    SBORJA_P06_A       connected    trunk      a-full      a-100 10/100BaseTX

Now in STP, for SB_P06_A

stp-link2.JPG

The cost ot the f0/24 on the SB_P06_B is the same of the first switch

stp-link3.JPG

Regards!

• 5. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                  Mohamed

Ing_Percy

Thanks Sir, but try to change the background color .  the background back is NOT good.please change it

• 6. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                    Ing_Percy

Excuse me friend, I had this register. If I have another opportunity of get access to another device, I will put another background.

• 7. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                      Martin

here are Percy's post and pictures with changed color

Both switches have the speed and duplex as auto. Then, when I connected the switches between them:

SB_P06_A#sh int g0/24 status

Port                Name                        Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Gi0/24    Link_SBORJA_P06_B  connected    trunk          a-full   a-100 10/100/1000BaseTX

SB_P06_B#sh int f0/24 status

Port          Name                          Status       Vlan       Duplex  Speed Type

Fa0/24    SBORJA_P06_A       connected    trunk      a-full      a-100 10/100BaseTX

Now in STP, for SB_P06_A

The cost ot the f0/24 on the SB_P06_B is the same of the first switch

• 8. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                        Samer

Mohamed wrote:

Martin

Thanks martin , but i think you still don`t understand my question yet

look , my question is :-

interface G0/2 before run (auto-negotiation) has cost = 2 because speed =1000Mbps ,  and after run (auto-negotiation) speed will be lower and will 100Mbps

my question :-

Does STP care about this change of speed ? i mean which one STP cost will choose ? before OR after the (Auto nego) running ?

speed mismatch will cause the link to be in UP/DOWN state, which means STP BPDU messages will not be exchanged, when the links are UP/UP after negotiation process is done, BPDU's will be flowing again with costs and everything.

• 9. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                          Parvesh

As I said in another post, STP cost is calculated post speed negotiation.

• 10. Re: How STP work with speed Mismatch
                            ciscodaze1

I cant read that, can you please put in on black background.