8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 11, 2019 11:10 AM by Yugandhar RSS

Reg VDC

Yugandhar

Hi,

Could you please help me in understanding the following:-

1. What's the Difference between Default VDC and Admin VDC ?

2. How many VDCs can we create for a N7K depends on the no of Supervisor Modules we have for that 7K Switch i.e. if we have multiple Sup-1 modules in a 7k switch then we can have 4 VDCs per Sup-1 module ?. ......Similarly if we have multiple Sup-2 modules then we can have 4+1 VDCs per Sup-2 Module ?.

3. Can a Nexus 7K chassis have  different Supervisor modules installed?

Thanks,

Yugandhar.

• 1. Re: Reg VDC
          Micheline

Hello Yugandar--some of your questions have already been answered in this thread: Admin VDC & Default VDC so I'll tackle the questions that I didn't answer there.

How many VDCs can we create for a N7K depends on the no of Supervisor Modules we have for that 7K Switch i.e. if we have multiple Sup-1 modules in a 7k switch then we can have 4 VDCs per Sup-1 module ?. ......Similarly if we have multiple Sup-2 modules then we can have 4+1 VDCs per Sup-2 Module ?.

Can a Nexus 7K chassis have  different Supervisor modules installed?

The N7K chassis only has the capability to hold two supervisor modules, and the modules need to be the same.  Since the sup modules run in active/standby the capacity of your switch to support VDCs is dependent upon the capabilities of the single module.  That is, a switch with two sup-1s will support four VDCs, a switch with sup-2es will support eight plus the admin VDC (8+1).

Does this make sense to you?  MM

• 2. Re: Reg VDC
            Ing_Percy

Hi!

The Default VDC is preconfigured in a Nexus 7000 Switch Series.

The administration tasks for other VDCs can be performed in the Default VDC and the Admin VDC. However, the Default VDC is a virtual segment with all the features.

The VDC Admin is optional. Interfaces of some module of line cards cannot be assigned to the VDC Admin and feature sets cannot be enabled in the VDC Admin. You can create a VDC Admin only on systems with Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Supervisor-2E modules.

Regards!

• 3. Re: Reg VDC
              Micheline

Hi Ing_Percy--I'm going to disagree with you.  The admin VDC is available on switches with a sup-2 or a sup-1.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to manage your non-default/user VDCs.  The default VDC becomes the admin VDC upon configuration of the first "new" VDC, regardless of sup model.

MM

• 4. Re: Reg VDC
                Ing_Percy

Thank you for the clarification

In my studies of Data center, I only listen about Sup-2

Good! I found in Cisco page

Admin VDCs are supported on Supervisor 1 and Supervisor 2/2e modules. When an admin VDC is enabled, only the mgmt0 port is allocated to the admin VDC.

Source: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus7000/sw/vdc/config/cisco_nexus7000_vdc_config_guide/confi…

Regards!

• 5. Re: Reg VDC
                  Micheline

I hear you!  The sup-1 is pretty old, and there have been three newer sups released since sup-1.  MM

• 6. Re: Reg VDC
                    Yugandhar

Thank you Micheline,... Could you please help by clarifying the following  queries:-

1. So for Sup-2  Module where we can have 4+1 VDCs  or Sup-2E module where we have 8+1 VDCs..   there is no default VDC as there is an admin VDC from where we can create other VDCs and allocate interfaces & resources to those VDCs ?.

2. If we have 2 Nexus 7K switches and if we want to configure HA between them in a Active / Standby Mode then can we configure VDCs between them in a Active / Standby so if one VDC goes down in one Sup module of 7k-1 .. the other VDC on Switch 7k-2 becomes active.

Thanks,

Yugandhar.

• 7. Re: Reg VDC
                      Micheline

Hello Yugandar--

So for Sup-2  Module where we can have 4+1 VDCs  or Sup-2E module where we have 8+1 VDCs..   there is no default VDC as there is an admin VDC from where we can create other VDCs and allocate interfaces & resources to those VDCs ?.

Yes.  This is also true for the Sup-1, which can only support four total VDCs.

If we have 2 Nexus 7K switches and if we want to configure HA between them in a Active / Standby Mode then can we configure VDCs between them in a Active / Standby so if one VDC goes down in one Sup module of 7k-1 .. the other VDC on Switch 7k-2 becomes active.

There are some protocols, such as HSRP, in which you can configure active/standby, but generally speaking, VDCs aren't used to create redundancy.  VDCs are used better utilize resources.  For example, since the Nexus 7000K cannot support an SVI and an OTV edge device on the same "box", a VDC can be used to segregate resources in order to run SVIs on one VDC and the OTV edge device on another VDC.

If you need to create L2 redundancy, a better technology would be vPC.

Does this answer your question?  MM

• 8. Re: Reg VDC
                        Yugandhar

Thank you Micheline,

So when we insert a SUP-2 module in N7K and connect to the Mgmt Port of this SUP-2 module, then we are in the ADMIN VDC which is nothing but a DEFAULT VDC in SUP-1. 

From this ADMIN VDC in SUP-2 we can create 4 more additional VDCs, allocate resources etc and do all the functions that we can do from a DEFAULT VDC in SUP-1.