11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2019 8:16 AM by CSimms81 RSS

Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2

SRIRAM

Hi All,

First of all, i am very pleased to know about this discussion forum and i felt i can get some guidance from this group.

I want to get CCNA Wireless certification. But as a prerequisite for this first i need to get CCNA R&S Certification.

So while reading some blogs i found CCNA R&S is two parts as ICND1 and ICND2.

So here my doubts are

1. If i finish ICND1 & ICND2 can i get CCNA R&S certification ?

Please suggest any book or resource for preparing the same.

BTW, i am wireless sqa engineer in reputed MNC.

Best wishes.

Sairam

• 1. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
          Ing_Percy

Hi!

You must have read about the new certification from February 24th, 2020

Before of this time, you can take ICND1 and ICND2 for getting the CCNA Certification

Here are recommendations

Re: CCNA Self Study Material

CCNA Study & Practice

About CCNA Wireless: From February 24th, 2020, it will be part of unique CCNA

Check: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/associate/ccna-wireless.html#~stick…

Regards!

• 2. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
            John Schubert

There is an overall course, the 200-125 CCNA exam.  Take this ONE test and you have your CCNA.  If you want to stair-step to your CCNA, you can decide instead to do ICND-1, which gets you a CCENT before 23 Feb 2020, and then ICND-2.  The price overall is the same, however let's say you fail ICND-2 after passing ICND-1.  You only pay $150-165 for the second test.  If you fail the 200-125, you're paying about $300-$325 again to re-test. 

Each test is about the same number of questions.  So, take 45-55 questions twice for ICND-1 and ICND-2, or take a single test 200-125 which is 60-70 questions in 90 minutes.

You have about 3.5 months, so your window is getting smaller.  I took the ICND-1 last week and plan to do ICND-2 on 30 December 2019.

• 3. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
              Ron

what was your feeling on the ICND1? BTW congrats on passing

• 4. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                John Schubert

I went into it feeling really good.  I have 3 Cisco routers (1921 times 2, and a 1811), with one gathering dust (forget the model), and then 4 switches (2950, 2960, 2960-S and a 3560).  The 2950 will likely not get used much as I just added the 2960 for IOS 15 capability.  With that gear, I followed along PluralSight videos and Lammle's book (each chapter has a "Hands On Lab) and then hit Boson off and on.  I varied between trying hard to pick the right answer, or just "show answer," and read the logic.  Sometimes you want to test your knowledge, and sometimes you want to figure out how to quickly find a correct answer in a test environment.

I walked in confident.  I hit a sim module early on configuring multiple switches for different types of hosts, and meticulously made sure everything in the configuration instructions was done.  This killed about 20 minutes as I triple and quadruple checked, but the downside was then I had to be speedy.  The upside is the same, I don't have time to second-guess at this point.  I thought I might possibly fail around question 30 or so.. I was seeing a few topics I don't really feel were covered well in the books and videos.  Such as logging and memorizing how to do menial admin of logging on different connections.  So, I was relieved when the last 10 questions were familiar, and I had about 4 minutes to do the last few.  I hit "Next" on the last question with seconds to go.

I feel through hands on labbing I really understand it better.  I did use Cisco Packet Tracer a bit, but it's kinda stupid at times.  Making me "virtually turn off" a device to drag and drop an interface on one hand is logical, but on the other hand, dumb.  I would think most people are smarter than the average bear and won't field swap cards with power enabled in  real life... then again I was 3rd Tier tech support at Sprint PCS and saw many times people did just that even after telling them "Leave the failed card in place.  Wait until tonight to pull it out.  Do not take out the failed card."  Seconds later I see a warning a card was removed.. *FACEPLANT*

Hopefully this was what you were asking.  I also this time around downloaded the Cisco Blueprint and turned it into a checklist in Word.  Before sitting for ICND-2, I will take it out and go through each objective and do the actual config/troubleshooting on my gear.  I've attached it here if it helps anyone.

• 5. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                  Ron

well written and great work in preparing for the exam. What is your endgame?

• 6. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                    John Schubert

I have to get the CCNA for work, but I plan on expanding after that to make myself more competitive in the workplace and just "geek out on certs."  I've had the CompTIA Sec+ in the past, but have zero desire to get that again.  I think I will continue for the CCNP, and then expand to the new "badges" for Cyber Security (whenever that hashes out), and Wireless.  I live in San Diego and Qualcomm is all around me.  I think the wireless will help.  I work for a company that makes test and measurement equipment for network equipment, and so I plan on playing a lot with my lab, test gear, and Wireshark.  I really want to start publishing helpful videos, but I have to be careful since I have NDAs in place.

After that, I plan on getting into an agnostic approach to vendor for cloud certs. AWS and Azure are the big ones first, since they both have DoD contracts and big marketplace acceptance. 

• 7. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                      Alexandre

Thanks for the explanation. Is the 200-125 CCNA exam does include the ICDN 1 and 2 multiple questions? moreover the skills on?

• 8. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                        John Schubert

yes in a way. The 200-125 has all subjects and is the single test route for a CCNA. ICND 1 is 100-105 and just gets you a CCENT in preparation for ICND2. Icnd-2 is 200-105 and when you pass you also have a ccna (assuming you finished ICND1 already). The topics are the same if you do the composite 200-125, or the two tests ICND 1 and 2.  Of course, youre answering more questions overall if you take two tests. CCNA has s about 60 questions in a single exam, or around 90-100 if you take two exams, since each test is about 45-50.

• 9. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                          CSimms81

Hello,

I'm thinking about going for the ICND 1 before the February 24, 2020 refresh of the exams. I keep seeing on the website that there's going to be an updated CCNA but will there be an updated ICND 2 exam that I can take to complete the CCNA?

• 10. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                            Ing_Percy

Hi!

No friend. From february 24th, 2020, there are no two exams for getting the CCNA. It will only be one exam (200-301) for the CCNA

The unique objective before February 24th. 2020 is to get the CCNA R&S and so, it can migrate to unique CCNA.

If you get the CCENT, it have a duration of 3 years, but it can't be recertified. In this few time left, maybe you must study the new CCNA.

Regards!

• 11. Re: Please help me in understanding CCNA Certification vs ICND 1&2
                              CSimms81

Thanks a lot for the clarification! Guess I'll start studying for the new CCNA.