4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2019 10:34 PM by Martin RSS

Is it worth to do CCIE DC?

rocky

Hello Friends,

Is it worth to do CCIE DC ?

I feel that DC track contains today's few hot technologies like BGP EVPN, vxlan and ACI and rest nexus VPC, fabric path omitted by Cisco, OTV is going to outdated

so for two or three topics, is it really worth to do CCIE certification and for these few topics, only study is enough instead certification if you have some hands-on experience ?

please let me know your perspective of doing CCIE DC certification ?  or only study is enough for few technologies ?

• 1. Re: Is it worth to do CCIE DC?
          Micheline

Hello Rocky--The DC IE contains more than what you just listed.  I would recommend that you take a look at the CCIE DC blueprint for the current version (v2.1) and the new version coming up in Feb 2020 (v3.0).  Here's the link for the v3.0 website. https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/training-events/training-certifications/certifications/expert/ccie-data-center-v2.html

In my opinion, you might be able to pass the written exam without much lab experience, but you will not be able to touch the lab exam without significant hands-on.

Regarding your question of whether the CCIE DC is worth it, I can tell you that most IEs out there are R/S, and DC IEs are a much rarer breed.  Being able to say that you are part of that elite club of Cisco recognized experts has its definite advantages.

MM

• 2. Re: Is it worth to do CCIE DC?
            Pardeep

Hello Rocky - In response of your written, sometimes it scares of people like me when people ask such questions . I just passed CCIE DC written exam two months back and now I am preparing for CCIE DC lab exam. So for me its really should be a worthy as every enterprise is moving towards ACI, Virtualization, Nexus Data center technologies. Additionally DC is not only for the Data center technologies but in new syllabus Cisco added R & S technologies as well which makes is really a demandable certification. I believe, doing any CCIE in any track is worthy at all. People are investing a huge money and time to become CCIE DC so obviously it must me worthy .

Thanks in Advance.

• 3. Re: Is it worth to do CCIE DC?
              Jacob

Hi Rocky,

What is your current line of work? What are your goals over the next 5 years? How much free time do you have to dedicate to this?

I got my first CCIE (Route Switch) in October. It is 100% worth it to me, as I work in consulting with a VAR. Aside from using these skills in my day-to-day work, having my CCIE has significantly boosted my current career opportunities. If I didn't go down the CCIE path, I likely wouldn't have been considered for my current position (I was actively attempting the lab when I was hired).

Despite what people like to say on Reddit and other social media outlets, the CCIE is very valuable. When you consider the updates to the curriculum after Feb 23 2020, the CCIE becomes even more relevant as the network engineering field becomes increasingly automated.

• 4. Re: Is it worth to do CCIE DC?
                Martin

CCIE DC is in high demand