4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2019 8:33 AM by Micheline RSS

UCS ISCSI BOOTING

Zblock

Hi ,

when trying to create ISCSI booting on my service profile template , for some reason my iscsi initiator name remains to default even though I have selected a IQN pool within the boot statement in the service profile template - until I don't click on "change initiator name" within the ISCSI vnic within the service profile template the IQN initiator name will not populate IQN`s from my IQN pool which I selected initially in my boot statement.

I have tested this 2 ways and still does not populate my pool and always remains default.

scenario 1 ;

I create my iscsi vnic within the service profile creation and select my pool within initiator name assignment as well as assigning an initiator pool within the boot statement.

unfortunately when I click on iscsi vnic the IQN pool name does not show my IQN pool until I click change initiator name and select the pool.

scenario 2;

I create my iscsi vnic within the service profile creation and don't  select my pool within initiator name assignment but  assigning an initiator pool within the boot statement.

unfortunately when I click on iscsi vnic the IQN pool name does not show my IQN pool until I click change initiator name and select the pool.

I have attatched some images of scenario 1 , and scenario 2 is only missing out the pool selection when creating the iscsi vnic within the service profile creation.

scenario1JPG.JPGscen1.JPGscene1.png

>>>>> after clicking "CHANGE INITIATOR NAME" and selecting my pool , the below shows the "IQN POOL NAME"

I then click yes

this then updates

when I now deploy service profiles from my templates the IQN pools are now populated.

any ideas what the issue could be or if I am creating this correctly ?

regards

Z

• 1. Re: UCS ISCSI BOOTING
          Micheline

Hey there ZBlock--most of your attachments didn't come across.  Could you post your Q on the DC IE forum?  (The private message part of CLN is incapable of handling lots of attachments.)

I have found that trying to populate anything iscsi within the confines of a template (versus an actually instantiated service profile) is prone to barfing.  For purposes of the exam, I decided that I would spin up a basic service profile from a template, and configure iscsi after instantiation.

But post on the forum so i can see your screenshots.  MM

• 2. Re: UCS ISCSI BOOTING
            Zblock

Hey MM,

I did post on the CCIE DC Study group and can confirm I have not private messages this across to anyone. all the attachment's that I posted are on the thread - I have used multiple browsers to search and can see all the attachments I have posted.

so just to confirm you think it would be better to create a service profile template > create a service profile from the template and add a ISCSI vnic and boot information afterwards ? my question is that would we not be able to make changes to that service profile as all the information has been derived from the service profile template itself. in other words would we have to disassociate from the service profile template , make and then make the changes to the profile by creating a ISCSI vnic and also make changes to the boot policy ?

regards

Z

• 3. Re: UCS ISCSI BOOTING
              Zblock

Hi MM,

after messing around with the UCS for abit , ive found the only way to do this is to 1; make the service profile template initial, rather than updating, or 2; unbind the service profile from the service profile template.

but would be easier to unbind as then we can modify the vnic templates to make the ISCSI vlan native if not done before.

• 4. Re: UCS ISCSI BOOTING
                Micheline

good morning Zblock--I'm responding here so everyone has the benefit of the conversation.  I apologize if this answer is duplicative.  (Also, now I'm seeing all of your screenshots.)

For some reason, UCS is very particular about iSCSI configurations.  And it seems that UCS ISCI has been that way for a while now.  I went back to Brian McGahan's DC Bundle (on Releaase 1.x code!), and he had similar experiences.

after messing around with the UCS for abit , ive found the only way to do this is to 1; make the service profile template initial, rather than updating, or 2; unbind the service profile from the service profile template

This is my experience also.  I would have thought that  UCS would have liked to have been more scalable, but since ISCSI doesn't have a mechanism like FC zoning, I would surmise that this was how the UCS creators answered the whole storage concept of one initiator: one target.  That's total speculation on my part, BTW.  I have nothing to back that up.

For purposes of the exam, I would suggest that you spin up a service profile as fast as you can, and then just configure the iSCSI on top of that.  I tried to figure out a fast way to iSCSI while I was configuring a template, and the only shortcut that I came up with was to have a vnic template to configure the underlaying "physical" vnic.  But that only really gets you the iSCSI VLAN as native on that interface.

MM