2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 6, 2019 7:17 AM by Jon Major CCIE# 47884 RSS

CCIE Security V5- Written

Kern

Hi I'm studying and I'm looking to connect with other's whom are liked minded. Please add me if you have a certain space or schedule to work with in order to study. I'm currently using the blueprint, INE videos, Katherine McNamara's blog (https://www.network-node.com/), the learning matrix, and books. I just finished the ISE book (soo many questions I have with no one to ask), I work with FTD/Firepower/ASA's on a daily basis so it's likely the last thing I'll study but still open to learning and bouncing ideas off of someone. Also I use labminutes.com for learning material as well. The other books I'm reading through are:

1. Cisco-Next-Generation-Security-Solutions-All-In-One-Cisco-ASA-Firepower-Services-NGIPS-And-AMP
      2. Cisco ASA All-in-One Next-Generation Firewall, IPS, and VPN Services, Third Edition
      3. Cisco ISE for BYOD and Secure Unified Access - Second Edition
      4. Cisco Firepower Threat Defense (FTD
      5. IKEv2 IPsec Virtual Private Networks Understanding and Deploying IKEv2 IPsec VPNs and FlexVPN in Cisco IOS
      • I'm curious as to the review of the official CCIE Study guide: Integrated Security Technologies and Solutions Vol 1 and Vol2 in comparison to all of the books I'm sorting my way through. Anyone have any opinion?
      • I'm going to be at Cisco Live and I'm attending the CCIE lab on Sunday just to learn and all of my courses are focused around security. As it's my first time I'm hoping to connect, learn, be inspired, and make it an experience to change my life. I'm going to attempt to take the test while I'm there just to see where I am on my knowledge (scared sh!tless about this test)
      • I would really like to meet or get together on Webex teams/webex or something on a regular basis to ask questions, and build relationships with people whom are doing the same.
      • My goal is to pass the written by August and the Lab by November. With my work and dedication, I believe this is possible and realistic. Anyone up for the challenge?

Add me to your study group I'm on the East coast (EST): kern.celestine@gmail.com

I study/read daily from 8/9pm EST - midnight M-F: I have a family.

Weekends: 9am-Starbucks closes and then maybe another 1-2hrs Depends on my goal for the day.

• 1. Re: CCIE Security V5- Written
          Jon Major CCIE# 47884

Kern,

Best of luck! I passed the written in Feb and I'm aiming for a lab attempt in August. The lab is a blast man, outside of core knowledge (sounds like you're doing all the right things so far), just focus on speed :-). CCIE labs are a time crunch, and you'll need to be able to get core tasks done at a breakneck pace. Also, keep in mind prepping for the written and the lab is a slightly different ball game (in my humble opinion). Both require expert knowledge on the subject material, but the lab will ask you to do things that you'd never see in production and you'll also need to be able to quickly formulate a plan of attack for a given lab. Just reading and configuring task by task in the config section, in the order the tasks are presented won't get you there. Not to mention having a plan of attack for Troubleshooting and Diagnostic sections.

The lab is its own special beast, and as you go along you'll learn that you need to both be an expert in the subject material as well as an expert at the lab. Like, being able to configure PxGrid,  kick out dotx configs, and the array of VPN technologies is critical but so is being able to look for choke points, build a plan, and calculate available points. Just my two cents on it all!

• 2. Re: CCIE Security V5- Written
            Jon Major CCIE# 47884

That said, I love making troubleshooting tickets. I'm game if you (or anyone else) wants to exchange topologies and tasks to test troubleshooting skills.