2 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2019 5:34 PM by Martin RSS

Whai is the actual use of VTP?

Vikas

Lets say we have 3 switches working on different modes like server, server and transparent. I remove 1 server switch from network for some day for a testing purpose or else then i have added the same sw in the network. In this scenario my vlan info will get lost. So, we advise to use transparent mode in a flat network so that our vlan can be created locally.

But i have to create multiples vlans in every transparent switch. So, what does the use of VTP here? My transparent sw will not advertise it's vlan info to other sw, will get saved in running coonfig not even in vlan.dat file.

Would it be possible that my 1 transparent sw will advertise the vlan info to our transparent sw?

I will reiterate the ques if required. Expecting to the point answer. TIA.

• 1. Re: Whai is the actual use of VTP?
          Ing_Percy

In general terms, the VTP transparent mode doesn't participate in the processing of VTP packets to update its own vlan database but it forward received VTP advertisements to another switches in VTP Client or server mode.

Regards!

• 2. Re: Whai is the actual use of VTP?
            Martin

VTP is not use in real life , at least in my experience. Major concern is Security and Vlan Management.   Mostly it is due to luck of Security in VTP version 1, 2.  VTP v3 came out with some security included so it may change real-world usage in feature.

Major thing about VTP transparent mode (real life and exam purpose) is the fact that is does save vlans in switch running config (and start up) but not in database.

You must use transparent mode to add Extended-range of VLANs 1006 to 4094.  Again, those extended and normal range vlans are not added to the VLAN database but are saved in the switch running configuration.

VTP version 3 supports extended VLANs in server and transparent modes.

One thing about transparent mode used Real World is Private vlans.  I have seen Private vlans in real world and if you travel and spend nights in hotels, you did too.  Private vlans provide isolation and L2 security for medium-to-large number of vlans in area (building). You can create sub-domains within vlan domain and assign ports to it.  it is great way to provide extra level of security as your individual access to Internet in your hotel room is separated from mine.  

Here is snap of Cisco about transparent mode:

VTP transparent switches do not participate in VTP. A VTP transparent switch does not advertise its VLAN

configuration and does not synchronize its VLAN configuration based on received advertisements.

However, in VTP version 2 or version 3, transparent switches do forward VTP advertisements that they

receive from other switches through their trunk interfaces. You can create, modify, and delete VLANs on

a switch in VTP transparent mode.