1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2019 1:26 AM by Mustafa RSS

MPLS

Wasif Bhatti

Hello beautiful people,

Need your opinion, you reckon MPLS is still alive?

Thank you,

Regards.

• 1. Re: MPLS
          Martin

Yes, very much so.  MPLS with OSPF or IS-IS is used by ISPs to provide L2 /L3 VPN and BGP services.  I think all ISPs use MPLS as their backbone technology.

• 2. Re: MPLS
            Steven Davidson

MPLS is used by more than just providers (and it's still heavily used by providers).  For example, it's used by SD-WAN products.  It's used in some data center solutions.  It's used to build extranets and core networks for large enterprise environments.

• 3. Re: MPLS
              Sergey

Wasif Bhatti,

MPLS is definitely alive and there is no visible signs that it will start deprecating any time soon. Agree with Steven, MPLS makes it more and more into large enterprise networks, surpassing its use only in service provider networks. You might get some confusion from the fact that today MPLS is deployed in the networks not for the benefit of faster packet switching, as it is now all implemented in hardware by the likes of CEF. The main strength of MPLS is in MPLS VPN and traffic engineering capabilities. Those are the features that keep it strong as ever and as already said, it doesn't look like any other technology is anywhere near to take over.

• 4. Re: MPLS
                Peter McKenzie

At Cisco live I like to talk to our premium telcos (Telstra /Optus) about latest technologies.

(eg telling me that frame relay is almost gone from OZ yeah)

here is a pdf from Telstra extolling MPLS

Telstra Connect IP® is a turn-key solution for a fast and

scalable MPLS-based IP VPN built on the resilient and

secure Telstra Next IP® network.

https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/business-enterprise/network-services/pdf/connect-ip-datasheet-new.pdf

• 5. Re: MPLS
                  Luke

Yep. Not going anywhere any time soon, especially for service providers.

• 6. Re: MPLS
                    Wasif Bhatti

Thank you so much for sharing the document.

• 7. Re: MPLS
                      David P.

I would add the following:

MPLS has made its way to the Service Providers (and many enterprises/DCs, etc.) because of its versatility and the amount of services you can ride on top (everything going by hand with traffic segmentation and multi tenancy), which makes it an indisputable winner when talking about flexibility. Its based on the label switching paradigm, it allows transport of almost any protocol under the labels! The routers performing label switching (forwarding based on labels) dont have information about the payload being carried under the labels imposed on them.

Changes you might see are not replacing about MPLS itself because its principles would be the same (labels and paths established over tunnels between nodes in a network), but rather the way its deployed and managed.

Segment Routing is the perfect example of this: its based in the same label principles, but its control plane works in a different way, as it allows a centralized management and control of the forwarding path via flexible policies applied from a controller, a SDN driven approach.

Its certainly not going anywhere

Hope it helps

• 8. Re: MPLS
                        Ri0N

MPLS is very much alive and is not going anywhere anytime soon. As the others have discussed, there are many ways how MPLS is still in use.

Also bear in mind that whenever rumors about a technology dying start to circulate, it could take several years or even decades for that technology to actually die. It's not too long ago I've seen someone on Twitter finally decommission the last Frame Relay network. I've studied Frame Relay over 10 years ago and even then it was dying...

• 9. Re: MPLS
                          David P.

Is it you IPv4? I still can hear you

• 10. Re: MPLS
                            Steven Davidson

Ri0N wrote:

Also bear in mind that whenever rumors about a technology dying start to circulate, it could take several years or even decades for that technology to actually die.

I totally agree with this.  Science invented calculators decades ago but I still count on my fingers and toes (a method which has been around for almost a hundred years...).  Well, technically, I can only go up to 48 with this method.  Then I have to start asking people to remove their shoes and it gets a little weird/creepy.

• 11. Re: MPLS
                              David P.

LOL

• 12. Re: MPLS
                                Ri0N

I count on my calculator.

• 13. Re: MPLS
                                  Peter McKenzie

glad it was of use. Always interesting to know what technology is still current with telecos

• 14. Re: MPLS
                                    Peter McKenzie

I was just reading an interesting Cisco blog on this and comparisons with major competitors

"So, what is multi-level segmentation? As it’s called, Multi-level segmentation provides two-levels of segmentation using layer 3 virtual networks (VNs) and scalable group tags (SGTs)."

https://blogs.cisco.com/enterprise/cisco-drives-intent-based-networking-forward-with-multi-level-segmentation?ccid=cc000…

1 2 Previous Next