3 Replies Latest reply: May 14, 2019 7:53 PM by Luke RSS

EIGRP Summary question

Michael

HI guys,

I have a simple question. I mean, when an EIGRP process has been created, it has been auto summarized already. However, you can use command no-auto summa to shut this feature down,and use summary command to summary route information manually.

My questions is, what is the difference between and which is the best when there are lots of route information in this EIGRP process? (no multi-AS)

• 1. Re: EIGRP Summary question
          Sergey

Michael,

Auto summarisation only creates classful summaries, which is really unflexible. With manual summarisation, the network administrator has ultimate control about precisely what the summary address should be and what interfaces it should be advertised out of. This is the best and most flexible option. Auto summarisation by large is considered obsolete and its use is discouraged in any environment.

• 2. Re: EIGRP Summary question
            Ing_Percy

Hi!

From IOS 15, the auto-summary is disabled in cisco devices. Personally, I don't recommend to use.

The advantge of the manual summarization is that you can apply by interface in your network (very specific), instead of the auto-summary where is applied in the entire device (all interfaces in the eigrp process)

More information: https://netfixpro.com/eigrp-auto-and-manual-summarization/

The options that you could implement is the manual summarization and the stub eigrp to reduce the routing table (it is the goal in the design)

Regards!

• 3. Re: EIGRP Summary question
              Luke

The short answer:

Auto-summary is classful only, disabled by default (on modern routers), and would generally be avoided

Manual summary is whatever you want it to be, and is applied to 'choke-points'. There's no need to area boundaries like OSPF has.

So, try to identify 'choke points' in your network, and apply summary there.