10 Replies Latest reply: May 23, 2019 10:08 AM by Andrew RSS

Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information

CiscoLadder

Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information

Would anyone like to comment on getting discouraged in terms of:

A) Thinking you’ve learned something, only to come back to a topic a few days later to find that you‘re not as solid as you thought ?

B) Since there’s literally thousands of books, videos, instructor led, classes  and online classes; How do I find which type of learning method(s) actually bring you to the point of retention ?

C) I guess I’m just venting, since I really want my CCENT/CCNA Certs so bad I can taste it, and my confidence level in myself is waning in the face of such a daunting task. I mean, I‘m reading material and trying to focus.

D) I don‘t yet have a personal lab and I really want to get ‘Hands-On’...

E) Can anyone direct me to SIMS that mimic an actual Switched/Router environment for CCENT and CCNA ?

F) If anyone has taken ICND2 and ICND2 In an instructor led class (Not a Bootcamp) I’d love to hear from you, in terms of, if and how you absorbed all the pertinent exam data ?

My personality is geared toward ‘STRUCTURE’ and placing things in their appropriate ‘ROWS + COLUMNS’, and if all this CCEN/CCNA information is not organized, I get lost and discouraged.

Best Regards,

Dave - CiscoLadder

ciscoladder@gmail.com

• 1. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
          Dave

There is no shortcut to learning this I am afraid. It's a case of reading the Cisco books, watch training

videos to help with different concepts, loads of stuff on youtube that will help.

Download Cisco Packet Tracer which allows you to get hands on without physical kit!

https://www.netacad.com/courses/packet-tracer

Hope that helps, good luck and use the Cisco Learning Network 

• 2. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
            Steven Davidson

CiscoLadder wrote:

Would anyone like to comment on getting discouraged in terms of:

E) Can anyone direct me to SIMS that mimic an actual Switched/Router environment for CCENT and CCNA ?

See if this is still up and available:

Free access to actual switches and routers for labs - Lab kit A, B and C are now ready

• 3. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
              Mustafa

My suggestion is try to use "eve-ng" emulator

B) Since there’s literally thousands of books, videos, instructor led, classes  and online classes; How do I find which type of learning method(s) actually bring you to the point of retention ?

• 4. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                Bruno

A.Thinking you’ve learned something, only to come back to a topic a few days later to find that you‘re not as solid as you thought ?

Repetition, repetition, is what will save you. Use multiple sources to better retain the content (videos, reading, labs, practice test), always with the blueprint beside you. You do not want to miss something… If you see that book A is difficult to “digest” then read book B. You might come back to book A in another chapter. Watch the videos associated to the chapter and take notes. Then, lab time, if needed read and watch videos again to reinforce the concepts you might have forgotten.

Now, this is the moment that you want to do some practice question from the books (a good technique is to write down the answers and reference your answer based on your study material collection). You can also buy official study tests such as Boson (in here they provide full explanation of answers provided).

You will start feeling that there are subjects that you master, at this point, focus on other topics that you do not master… Adapt this sequence to you.

B.Since there’s literally thousands of books, videos, instructor led, classes  and online classes; How do I find which type of learning method(s) actually bring you to the point of retention ?

Pick multiple sources and see which one fits you more. Lets say you start today with chapter one. Watch videos and read from different sources with related content. You will feel which one best fits you. I might be a guy where reading is the best but for you maybe you are better with videos. Dive in and found you best path… But be careful here, only one source will not hep you pass the exam.

Always remember that the resources do not matter , the blue print is where your focus should be...

C) I guess I’m just venting, since I really want my CCENT/CCNA Certs so bad I can taste it, and my confidence level in myself is waning in the face of such a daunting task. I mean, I‘m reading material and trying to focus.

Be persistent, study each subject at the time. You will start seeing you progress. Be persistent....

Packet tracer (I think is free as of today and serves you well for NA level), GNS3 (slightly more difficult to setup and requires Cisco images which you must be entitled to get it). Real gear works as well but more costly.

If you are seeking for labs you can check INE workbook: http://labs.ine.com/workbook/toc/ccna-rs-workbook

Cisco Network Academy is an excellent resource as well but harder to attend since you need to be associated to a school / university.

I would take a look into CBT Nuggets - Jeremy Cioara.

There are many other sources that you can find on google.

F) If anyone has taken ICND2 and ICND2 In an instructor led class (Not a Bootcamp) I’d love to hear from you, in terms of, if and how you absorbed all the pertinent exam data ?
                They are quite expensive for what it is....You can get the same on video classes, however, you must be responsible enough to commit with the videos… Take notes while watching the videos and you will realize that there is much more content as opposed to not taking notes. If you do not fully understand then search for additional sources focus on that particular subject. I think this is the difference between both, while instructor led class you can ask questions, on video classes you need to pause and search for answers (google, books, other videos, etc…)

• 5. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                  Micheline

Hey there Bruno--lots of folks here have plenty of advice for you about how to study, in the end you have to figure out what works best for you, and use those methods.

For myself, I am old-school.  I read a chapter, take notes on the chapter, and then do the quiz at the end of the chapter.  Then I go lab up everything I read about. Take notes on my lab experience. This is key.  Without a doubt, my lab notebook is the most important resource I have, and I take notes on my failures as much as my successes.  For retention, I use flashcards... either real physical cards, or virtual cards using a flashcard app like Quizlet.  As the material gets more complicated, I use flashcards to help cement mind maps in long-term memory.

Regarding your confidence level and how much material you have before you... well, everyone was a beginner sometime.  For myself, I was in your shoes three years ago.  Today, I'm studying for the CCIE lab exam.  You can do it.  Set yourself a goal, and then make a little progress everyday towards it.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and as long as you're making forward progress, you doing great.

Best of luck Bruno, MM

• 6. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                    Bruno

Thank you,

However, I think you are writing to CiscoLadder ?

• 7. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                      Micheline

Writing to Bruno... sometimes I get the reply buttons mixed up.    Have a great Friday.  MM

• 8. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                        Samer

CiscoLadder wrote:

A) Thinking you’ve learned something, only to come back to a topic a few days later to find that you‘re not as solid as you thought ?

This is normal, keep notes to comeback and check when needed.

you will have to check by yourself and sometimes ask in here

EVE-NG, GNS3, Packet tracer, Boson, Cisco VIRL.....simlulators/emulators or real hardware, this is up to you and your budget

• 9. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                          Esteban

Hey CiscoLadder,

I am in the same boat and feel that there is so much information that I feel overwhelmed sometimes.  After reading some of the replies I feel a little better and realize that I will not learn this material over night.  Best of luck in your studies.

regards,

Esteban

• 10. Re: Getting a little discouraged in terms of so much information
                            Andrew

I second the advice about taking notes. Take notes on the chapters you study whether you use a cert guide, the NetAcad material, or other things. Take notes on your lab experiences. Take notes about the command syntax you learn, the procedures you need to employ, and the procedures and processes that the various protocols employ as they do their work. Take note of itemized lists and numbered lists of things. As you drill on the cert practice tests you’ve found or purchased, take notes on the questions you miss, why the right answers are right, and perhaps even why you missed the question, if you realize that you misread the question in the first place. If you find yourself taking notes on the same kinds of questions over and over again, focus your attention there. Trying to re-cram everything you’ve ever learned about Cisco probably won’t help, so let the Pareto principle guide you.

If you find that a given book doesn’t work for you, abandon it. I borrowed Lammle’s CCENT book from a co-worker, but found I only needed to read a few chapters, because I had already read the NetAcad companion guides cover to cover. If at all possible, get your hands on some hardware, if you have access to it, or some sort of Netlab or virtual lab that fully simulates the devices. Packet tracer is pretty good, but it doesn’t simulate everything perfectly. I haven’t tried GNS3 myself.

I don’t have the official cert guide for ICND1, but I read the portable command reference for CCNA R&S. I found that it’s actually fairly useful as a cram guide, particularly if you already have good working knowledge of the material. I started with the NetAcad material myself. NetAcad covers about 95% of what’s in the ICND1 chapters of the portable command guide. The only big holes I noticed were the errdisable recovery options for switchport security and the finer points of DHCP, like the options command, which you might not even need of you don’t have Cisco Phones using TFTP to fetch their images and configs.