6 Replies Latest reply: May 1, 2019 3:54 AM by Peter McKenzie RSS

CCDP - resources

Andrea

Hi,

Can I confirm that this is the official book for CCDP exam?

Designing for Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH) Foundation Learning Guide, Fourth Edition

Seeing some comments in this forum do not motivate me much due to they way the exam is badly designed/written.

At the same time however if I manage to understand what I need to focus on to best understand the topics and pass this exam it will be a valid way to re-certify the CCNP.

I plan to cover the material and sit for the exam in about 3 months, it looks to be theoretical so I do not think I need to practice/lab much right?

Therefore I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks

• 1. Re: CCDP - resources
          Steven Davidson

Andrea wrote:

Hi,

...Seeing some comments in this forum do not motivate me much due to they way the exam is badly designed/written.

At the same time however if I manage to understand what I need to focus on to best understand the topics and pass this exam it will be a valid way to re-certify the CCNP.

The foundation guide is a great resource for the CCDP.  Don't get too worked up about the write-ups that you see for the CCDP.  It's not that much different than what you've already come to expect from a Cisco exam.  Are the questions all super easy to understand and clear and concise?  No.  Show me a Cisco exam that matches that and, while you're at it, have it hand delivered to me by a yeti riding a unicorn.  I passed the CCDP and thought that the foundation learning guide was an excellent resource in preparing me for the exam.  However, I went into it with a) a wide range of practical experience - routing/switching, data center, voice, security - from which to draw on and b) the knowledge that I was probably going to have to deep-dive into some topics from several tracks soooo I watched videos on 802.1X, CCNA-level data center, CCNA-level wireless and CCNA-level security.  I was also the beneficiary of the fact that I was months deep into CCIE R/S prep so I had the cumulative knowledge built up from that.  All were very useful and I'm glad I took the time to do that extra prep.  I think what throws a lot of people off, on this one, is that maybe they were really really deep into one discipline (like R/S) and didn't expect to get hit with so many technical questions outside of that.  Maybe they were thinking that design shouldn't involve in-the-weeds technical details across a wide range of disciplines.  Whether that's fair or not is open to debate.  I think it's difficult to design solutions if you don't have some technical understanding of the bits and pieces that make up the solution.  Maybe at the CCDE level it's more about how technology enables business objectives and bridging the technical side with the business side but I think at the CCDP level it's still about putting pieces together to make a network infrastructure (voice,data, wireless, security, data center, Internet, extranet, etc) that can work and scale.

• 2. Re: CCDP - resources
            Andrea

Thank you Steven for your thoughts, I will think about it and decide if I should take this path or perhaps redo one of the syllabus/exams which I am more familiar with (such as SWITCH or ROUTE).

Now I have a better understanding that CCDP is definitely NOT something to be rushed into as it covers different/vast topics (many of them which are kind of completely new to me)

• 3. Re: CCDP - resources
              Steven Davidson

IMO TSHOOT is the path of least resistance for most of the NP-level certs.  It's super straight forward.  As close to zero BS as you can get on one of these exams.  If you work in networking and find yourself on routers and switches often then you should be able to pass TSHOOT with minimal prep.  If the whole point is to renew the cert then consider TSHOOT.  If, however, you want to take an exam that also moves you closer to another certification then give yourself more time.  Three months would be tight on any NP-level exam other than TSHOOT.

• 4. Re: CCDP - resources
                Andrea

That is another idea (take TSHOOT to renew) but will definitely need to catch up (practice) as I have not been doing much work on switches and routers....let me search a bit in the coming days for related resources and practice labs.

• 5. Re: CCDP - resources
                  Steven Davidson

I'll probably end up taking TSHOOT at Cisco Live in June even though it'll only add a few months to my NP.  The exam if free with the CLUS pass so might as well use it.  It's probably the most entertaining exam in their library.

• 6. Re: CCDP - resources
                    Peter McKenzie

That's what I did, and even better at Live Melbourne Cisco paid for one free exam up to the Professional level.

Sadly only one exam was free.

Next year I might experiment and take something completely way out of my experience like Cloud or one of the programming ones.