2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2019 6:54 PM by Michael RSS

What is the difference between the CCNA Security and CCNA CyberOps certifications?

Justin

What is the difference between the CCNA Security and CCNA CyberOps certifications?

Could someone provide a descriptive explanation between the two? What are the driving thoughts behind having two separate security certifications? CCNA CyberOps going to have a higher level track in the future? I'm trying to figure out which certs going forward or more aligned with my needs and career goals.

Thanks,

Justin

• 1. Re: What is the difference between the CCNA Security and CCNA CyberOps certifications?
          Gus

Hi Justin,

Welcome to the Cisco Learning Network!

Regarding your question of the difference between the CCNA Cyber Ops Certification and the CCNA Security certifications.

The Cisco Certified Network Associate Security (CCNA Security) validates associate-level knowledge and skills required to secure Cisco networks. With a CCNA Security certification, a network professional demonstrates the skills required to develop a security infrastructure, recognize threats and vulnerabilities to networks, and mitigate security threats. The CCNA Security curriculum emphasizes core security technologies, the installation, troubleshooting and monitoring of network devices to maintain integrity, confidentiality and availability of data and devices, and competency in the technologies that Cisco uses in its security structure.

Meanwhile, the Today's organizations are challenged with rapidly detecting cybersecurity breaches and effectively responding to security incidents. Teams of people in Security Operations Centers (SOC’s) keep a vigilant eye on security systems, protecting their organizations by detecting and responding to cybersecurity threats. Teams of people in SOC’s keep a vigilant eye on security systems, protecting their organizations by detecting and responding to cybersecurity threats. The CCNA Cyber Ops certification prepares candidates to begin a career working with associate-level cybersecurity analysts within SOC’s

The above two paragraphs describe a general overview of the major differences between the CCNA Security and the CCNA Cyber Ops Certifications.

For further information related to both certifications, I would advise to check carefully the information available at the following two links:

Cyber Ops (CCNA)

Security (CCNA Security)

Finally, let me share with you these great blogs from great Cisco Learning Network community members, that you can read with advice.  I am sure these blogs will help you consider which path of Security you want to take within the Security field.  Please check the following links:

The Top 3 Reasons Security Certifications Are #WorthIt

Cybersecurity Challenges and Opportunity Are Ginormous

Getting Started in a Cybersecurity Career

Surprising Ways to Find Cybersecurity Gold In Your Employees (Part 1)

Surprising Ways to Find Cybersecurity Gold in Your Employees (Part 2)

I hope this information is helpful for you and I wish you all the best in your Cisco studies.

Regards,

Gus

• 2. Re: What is the difference between the CCNA Security and CCNA CyberOps certifications?
            Michael

In CCNA Security a Student learns how to secure the network at layer 2 and layer 3. It deals in maintaining confidentiality and integrity of data and covers topics like Firewall, Securing Routers and Switches and VPN. It is most suitable for those who want to work as a Network and Security Engineer, Security Analyst.

CCNA CyberOps on the other hand deals in detecting cybersecurity breaches and measures to avoid them.  It prepares students to work in a Security Operations Center (SOC). A SOC team monitors the network for security threats and then triages and responds to those threats.