Cisco Learning Home > CCNP R&S Study Group > Discussions
35578 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2010 10:38 PM by Bilal Ahmed RSS

Currently Being Moderated

How to use Xmodem to upload IOS

May 10, 2010 4:01 AM

Bilal Ahmed 28 posts since
Apr 9, 2010

Hi all,

I want to up ios for CISCO 1841 using hyperterminal. How can i do this using Xmodem file transfer.

Please do the needful.

Regards,

Bilal

• MiKa 84 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    1. May 10, 2010 4:34 AM (in response to Bilal Ahmed)
    Re: How to use Xmodem to upload IOS

Hi,

I assume you have to restore the IOS in flash.

I haven't used XMODEM for a long time - I remember it was used for those Cisco devices without ROM-IOS like the 36xx and some of the older models of Catalyst switches. XMODEM was available (only) through monitor mode (e.g. interrupt boot process) via a ROMmon command resp. menu option.

See:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a008015bfac.shtml

If you have physical access to the 18xx in question use the tftp option via ROMmon and a crossover-cable.

I'm afraid there is no other option.

Hope that helps.

• Plasmo 31 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    2. May 10, 2010 4:40 AM (in response to Bilal Ahmed)

Don't have much time to go step by step in deep details, so I will give you a short explaination and if isn't enough I will update you later.

Open hyperterminal and after you set the COM port right click on the terminal window and select send file and select the IOS you want to load ( so the hyperterminal knows the path already)

Now if you are in this prompt  router : , type

copy xmodem: flash:( IOS name),then you will have following promt

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...

CCC

before the 3 CCC appear quick right click on the hyperterminal window and choose Transfer > Send File.

Choose the Xmodem protocol in the Send File dialog box and click Browse in order to select the Cisco IOS image (.bin file) that you selected previously.

Click Send in order to begin the Xmodem transfer.

Boot the new image that you just copied over  with the Xmodem procedure.

Type boot flash:filename command

Hope this help

Plasmo

• MiKa 84 posts since
    Aug 18, 2009
    3. May 10, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to Plasmo)

The command lookup tool says the following about copy xmodem::

copy xmodem:

To copy a Cisco IOS image from a local or remote computer (such as a PC, Macintosh, or UNIX workstation) to Flash memory on a Cisco 3600 series router using the Xmodem protocol, use the copy xmodem: command in EXEC mode.

Command History

11.2 P  This command was introduced.

12.2(15)T This command is no longer supported in Cisco IOS Mainline or Technology-based (T) releases. It may continue to appear in Cisco IOS 12.2S-family releases.

12.2(33)SRA This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.2(33)SRA.

and further:

Usage Guidelines

This command is a form of the copy command. The copy xmodem: and copy xmodem commands are identical. See the description of the copy command for more information.

I'm curious whether it really works on a 18xx router - I don't have one at hand...

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,395 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    4. May 10, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to Bilal Ahmed)

While you have all your fun uploading via the console port, I would recommend two things...

1.  Put your console speed (baud rate) up as high as possible.  On a 1841, I believe that's 115200 bps.  Which is obviously faster than 9600 bps.

2.  Use the "-y" option for Ymodem-G.  Other than some differences in error correction over Xmodem, you'll also get the benefit of pausing only once every 1,024 bytes (for ACK) unlike Xmodem which pauses every 128 bytes.

it'll go MUCH faster with those two things.

Cheers,

Scott

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)