13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 24, 2019 11:01 AM by arteq RSS

CCIE Lab exam command query.

promise

i have a question. in the config section, lets say part of a  question involves creating an ACL, and the correct ACL according to Cisco exam  is like this

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.1

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.2

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.3

But lets say in the actual exam, you create an ACL like this

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.1

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.2

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.3

access-list 1 permit 10.0.0.4

will my answer be regarded as wrong just because i added 1 more line "10.0.0.4" or they will just look for the 1st 3 lines and award me the points and ignore the rest.  this is assuming that my ACL does not affect anything else in the rest of the config section.

• 1. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
          Steven Davidson

It would depend on the wording.  If they said "create an access-list using the minimum number of entries" and you have an extra entry then I would assume that you'd get it wrong and lose points.

• 2. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
            arteq

i would avoid extra config of any sort... that is my plan

• 3. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
              Martin

Do not make extra config lines in items they ask you (as a result of fulfilling task). especially in access-, prefix-lists, route-maps, etc;

I guess it might be ok to add extra lines in things they do not asks (i.e. interface description as long as it doesn't override theirs).

However, do not leave command aliases as they may affect grading script.  

do not assume anything, too risky; cannot be sure that such ACL won't affect anything else, can u?  common knowledge (or assumption) is that Proctor runs "grading" script that looks for certain lines.  for example, such script may look for 3 lines with "permit 10.0.0.x" but you have 4. 

if u not sure, ask Proctor.

• 4. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                promise

Very valuable information.

i thought its either they would grade on either  Config Lines or state of process/service i.e ospf process state.

but with many candidates coming for the exam, they dont expect all of us to enter the very same commands like 100% in all the questions.

but then again, this is CCIE LAB. i would strongly advise them to grade on process/service state.

• 5. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                  arteq

i believe they do a combination of the running-config and show command output...

• 6. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                    Martin

yes, it's probably more like Arteq said "combination of the running-config and show command output"

Simple ways to test is to run ping/trace. I am sure the tasks will ask u to do so.  if there is a show output in a task, it's easy to check and compare your result.

Check and Read Guidelines before Configuring anything; Main one is 'do not use static routes', so obvious grading script will be existence of  'ip route' in show run. You could also have 'don't remove per-existing configs", recent one was a strange one "do not use following characters ...... when naming acl, prefix, r-maps"

While grading, I am sure Cisco took into account the fact that we may have different ways to complete a particular task.

• 7. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                      Steven Davidson

I imagine that the grading is done in very similar fashion to how it is done in the Cisco Expert-level training (Cisco 360) graded assessments/performance assessments.  They mostly rely on show verification output.  It gets pretty crazy in fact.  They'll check show ip bgp summary output, for example, to determine whether or not an exact number of prefixes are being learned by a neighbor so it's very important to use the correct peering address and to have the correct routing policy in place.  I was burned numerous times on tasks which required some kind of output to appear in the log buffer but I completed the task too early in the lab or turned on a debug that aggressively overwrote the log buffer and the log buffer output was overwritten.  This is common for things like proving traffic hit an ACL or proving that QOS policy was successfully applied.  For instance, the task would say (paraphrasing) "create QoS policy that marks traffic of type x with DSCP y and then apply an access-list to device z that logs traffic with DSCP y".  They will then check the system log buffer for the log generated by the ACL hit.  If, for some reason, you do something that causes the log to be overwritten then even if you were to have successfully generated the log at one point in the lab you will lose the points if, later on, the log entry disappears.  If you have any kind of task which requires something to show up in the log buffer then the very last thing you need to do (and make sure you've left time for) is to check the log buffer of the host(s) to ensure that the output is still there and do whatever you need to do to make sure it comes back before ending your lab.  At least that was my experience with the 360 grading. 

• 8. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                        arteq

whoa...

• 9. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                          Martin

"check show ip bgp summary output" -  yes

"check the system log buffer for the log generated by the ACL hit"   - yes for C360 lab but not for CCIE lab.

I don't think that's an option for CCIE lab grading. The fact is that you can do lab tasks in any order u wish.

• 10. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                            Anton Alipov

What the proctor said to me literally was that "if something is not specified in the task, then it's up to you".

• 11. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                              promise

is it the proctor who grades the Lab, or some other team behind the scenes?

• 12. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                                Anton Alipov

No it's definitely not your proctor. As far as I know it's some other person in a part of the world different from where you are taking the exam, and I guess there is fair amount of manual grading for the configuration section of the SP exam, because I received my result even after the specified period of time expired.

• 13. Re: CCIE Lab exam command query.
                                  arteq

thanks, anton....