4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2019 6:29 PM by Souleymane RSS

Admin VDC & Default VDC

Veera

Hi,

1. What is the difference between admin VDC and Default VDC? Need brief explanation.

2. After i created a new VDC from admin VDC. Is new VDC will take entire any module ports? if not  How the port allocation process works?

3. Please share the list of Nexus 7K all modules port grouping list info.

• 1. Re: Admin VDC & Default VDC
          Micheline

Good morning Veeranjaneyulu--good questions!  Let me answer them in order.

1. What is the difference between admin VDC and Default VDC? Need brief explanation.

The default VDC is the first VDC on a Nexus 7000 series switch.  That is, if you take the switch out of its box and power it up, the VDC you get into when you console in or SSH in is the default VDC.  If you never configure another VDC on that box, it will just be the default VDC the entire time.  But, if you need another VDC, for example, to configure OTV appliance on a stick, then the VDC you create becomes a user (or sometimes called nondefault) VDC, and the default VDC becomes the admin VDC. 

The admin VDC is important because certain commands must be issued on the admin VDC and will get pushed to all child VDCs on the box.  For example, configuring NTP or some feature-sets requires being in the admin VDC.  Also, from the admin VDC, you can use the command switchto vdc to get into any child VDC.  You cannot go from any child VDC into the admin VDC or any other child VDC.

2. After i created a new VDC from admin VDC. Is new VDC will take entire any module ports? if not  How the port allocation process works?

Once you configure a new VDC, the next command you should issue will be to allocate ports to the newly created VDC.  There are some caveats to port allocation.  The biggest caveat is that you cannot just simply configure any old port to the VDC.  Your allocation must fall along port group lines.  That is, all or no ports on any given ASIC must be allocated.  Since VDC creation and port allocation are usually a one shot deal, you should take some care to consider how you want to allocate ports.  For example, consider things like:

• What features do I need to support &/or what features do my line cards support?
          • What is the port group size of a given line card?
          • Is mixing line cards in a VDC supported?
          • How many VDCs do I need &/or how many VDCs do my sup cards support?

3. Please share the list of Nexus 7K all modules port grouping list info.

Cisco provides a handy compare models page for its Nexus 7Ks that is https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/models-comparison.html. 

Use the tabs on the top (M-series and F-series I/O modules) to tab back and forth between the line card product lines.  Sometimes, however, you might have to look at the data sheet for the specific card to answer your questions.  Also, if you try to allocate ports and you've allocated in a way that is not in compliance with the line card's port grouping, NX-OS won't let you allocate and you'll get a message about your error.  (If I remember correctly, NX-OS will make the allocation, but will allocate all ports in the port group, not simply the ports you designate, which might not be the most pleasant way to find out about ther limitation.).

Finally, Cisco's Config Guide for VDC is https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/b-7k-Cisco…

Hope this helps, MM

• 2. Re: Admin VDC & Default VDC
            Veera

Hi Micheline,

Thank you for the clarification.   One more thing

I am looking for more lab practice. Is there any ways can i get lab practice through  Remote access?. Currently i am staying in INDIA (Bangalore)

• 3. Re: Admin VDC & Default VDC
              Micheline

Hello Veera--OK, that's a tougher question!  Lab practice especially for the data center track can be hard to come by.  I rent (INE).  For folks looking to make a run at the DC IE, I always suggest looking into their lab earlier rather than later.

There are some platforms that are virtually available.  VIRL supports a Nexus 9000v that's a stripped down version of NX-OS.  There's the UCSPE for practicing on UCS, and there is an ACI simulator out there, but it is a bit hard to get your hands on.  dcloud labs are your friend if you have a friendly neighborhood Cisco SE who can get you access.  Also DevNet has an ACI sandbox specifically to practice REST API.

Hope this helps.

MM

• 4. Re: Admin VDC & Default VDC
                Souleymane

Hello Micheline,

Thank you for your response, just to be clear i wanted to add that the default vdc does not automatically becomes admin VDC, you need to configure the default VDC to becomes admin VDC and all all the nonglobal configuration is lost after that.

Enter the system admin-vdc command after bootup. The default VDC becomes the admin VDC. All the nonglobal configuration in the default VDC is lost after you enter this command.

You can change the default VDC to the admin VDC with the system admin-vdc migrate new vdc name command. After entering this command, the nonglobal configuration on a default VDC is migrated to the new migrated VDC.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/virtual_device_context/configuration/guide/b-7k-Cisco…