6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2019 3:51 AM by arteq RSS

asav devices just keep rebooting.

Cisco_Jedi_Prodigy

Whenever I try and start ASAv devices in my simulation, they just keep loading and never finish (goes through Post, finds NICs, etc. then rebooting...(status 0x8b)). Sorry couldn't really copy and past the screen.

It appears the devices are in ROMMON. I know how to fix this on real hardware but what do I do in VIRL?

Any ideas?  This was not happening before.

• 1. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
          Donovan

Hey did you find this fix for this? I just got a server capable of running virl and this is the last remaining issue I have (well so far). Thanks!

• 2. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
            arteq

what ver?

• 3. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
              Donovan

I was running all latest versions bare metal on a dell r710 but decided to go ESXi 6.7 this mornin. It’s loading the ova right now. I believe the VIRL ver is 1.5.145 and asa was 9.9.. cant remember right now as im away from the house at the moment. It was the latest in software downloads.

• 4. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
                Donovan

so I cleared out the virtual disk, created a fresh one, then loaded esxi instead running bare-metal install. After, updating the software - ran into the same issue with the bridge after an update or having an active internet connection - no worries there knew what to do (timely reinstall) was able to start testing my topology in Maestro about an hour ago.

My topology has 3 9k's that are intended to be spines, 4 9k's that are intended to be leafs, two more 9k's for dmz/inet switch, and 2 ASAv HA pairs.

I started 2 of the ASAv's first. Both loaded no issues. I then loaded a server and a 9k the server and 9k had no issues (yet to see any issues with the 9k's but havent yet gotten to configuring them yet. So after starting the 1 9k and the server, I tried starting up the 2 remaining ASAv's. Those ASAv's keep rebooting non-stop with the below error:

Failed to read security parameters - base 0xfff00000 offset 0x400 buf_size 20

secstore_buf_fill: Error reading secure store -  buffer 0x110e1350, size 0x14 tag 3 id 0

ASA: Platform type set to default. secstore rcode 1

Failed to read security parameters - base 0x0 offset 0x400 buf_size 20

secstore_buf_fill: Error reading secure store -  buffer 0x110e1130, size 0x14 tag 4 id 0

It's hard to believe more people are not having this issue?

• 5. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
                  Donovan

update - i switched from using maestro on windows 10 to macbook and the asav nodes start up VERY quickly, do not take up much resources compared to win10, and no issues. not sure what that is all about but if using mac gets rid of some of these issues; i'm all for that. continuing to add nodes.

• 6. Re: asav devices just keep rebooting.
                    arteq

wtg