1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 6, 2019 10:43 AM by Dyland RSS

Adding a 2nd int to Virl VM for ASDM to ASAV access breaks connectivity via Vmnet0 to UWM.

cmulcaire

Hi

I purchased virl specifically for the ASA with ASDM.. Unfortunately whilst I can get the basic VIRL setup to work as soon as I add a second int to the virl vm I am unable to connect to UWM via Vmnet0 / Eth0.  I have set the first int of the virl vm to be bridged to vmnet0. That all works fine I can ping the internet and access UWM and verify the salt etc and update the nodes and access the VIRL vm via VM Maestro and run simms. However as soon as I add a second int to the VIRL vm ( mapped to Vmnet1 host only) I can no longer access UWM via vmnet0 / eth0. I have set the address manually on eth0 via virl_setup. If I take the second int off everything starts working again. However, that doesn't help me as I need the second int to run ASDM on the host machine and connect it to the VIRL vm. Any suggestions. At this point I must admit I am about to throw in the towel and ask for my money back as at the moment VIRL is completely useless for my purposes. A piece of software that is supposed to be a training / study / simulation aid just shouldn't be this finicky. As far as I am concerned I am following the steps in the various configuration guides and it just isn't working. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

• 1. Re: Adding a 2nd int to Virl VM for ASDM to ASAV access breaks connectivity via Vmnet0 to UWM.
          Dyland

Hi Chris.

Can I assume you are running VIRL 1.5 within an ESXi environment.  Can I also assume you are running VMware ESXi 6.0 or 6.5?

Check your port group for your VM_network ( that VMnet0/eth0) is connected to for management access.  When you mouse over the port id on the group it should display the mac address of the virtual nic connected for the VIRL VM.  My guess is the mac is not the same as what is being used by eth0 in the VIRL vm.

Viewing the Ubuntu arp table will also show that your management networks gateway is incomplete ( not receiving or responding to ARP requests)

Dyland