3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2019 1:44 AM by Sergey RSS

HSRP BGP TEST

Renzo

Hi all.

I have a query when going to perform contingency tests on HSRP.

Let's say I have my main link and backup link; and I want to lower the main one to see if the backup responds, but that is not the main issue. My question is how this is done without having to shute the port of the WAN. Would it be done by the BGP?

router bgp 12345

bgp log-neighbor-changes

network 192.168.67.0

timers bgp 10 30

neighbor 10.31.22.49 remote-as 666

neighbor 10.31.22.49 update-source GigabitEthernet0/0

neighbor 10.31.22.49 send-community both

neighbor 10.31.22.49 soft-reconfiguration inbound

ip bgp-community new-format

I've seen it once but I'm not sure you can shuffle the bgp so it does not propagate routes. Could someone please clarify this to me? Thank you

• 1. Re: HSRP BGP TEST
          Sergey

Renzo,

You can switch over the active HSRP role by increasing the priority on the secondary router, as long as preemption is enabled. With regards to BGP, it is not quite clear what your issue is. Do you want to make sure that secondary router starts advertising your prefixes when you switch it to take over HSRP active role? That depend on what you are advertising over BGP. If your prefixes are the same from both routers and you use as-path prepending to select the active one, then I guess you can modify your policy to prefer secondary router. If your WAN circuits are with different providers and the BGP prefixes you advertise are different, then you don't need to do that. If you could clarify what exactly you need to do and provide a simple diagram, that would help

• 2. Re: HSRP BGP TEST
            Renzo

Hi Sergey

Thanks for your answer.

My doubt is more to know if there is any command within the bgp.

let's say I was thinking about these:

no neighbor 10.31.22.49 remote-as 666

no synchronization bgp

thing that when executing the command SHOW IP INT SUMMARY see how long the bgp has fallen and in that way the link backup will go to main.

• 3. Re: HSRP BGP TEST
              Sergey

Renzo,

What you can do to decrease the convergence time is to use the IP SLA tracking. You can set the SLA tracking objects to monitor the reachability of a remote IP address reachable via your BGP routes on the primary router. Then set up the HSRP decrement in case this object goes down. Then once you remove your BGP neighbour, the routes clear and SLA fails. As soon as SLA monitor fail, HSRP decreases the priority and secondary router becomes active.