1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2019 10:38 PM by Peter McKenzie RSS

Is Cisco VIRL losing users?

Michael

Seems like less and less posts to the forum.   Less and less response from new users?   VIRL admin team takes days to respond, if they do at all.  We are getting one release a year.   Doesn't seem to help us on our CCNP exams anymore?   We were promised a new awesome release?  Last one was almost a year ago.   Did Cisco give up on VIRL and is pulling support from it?   I remember the new manager of the team's video of the new product would be coming?  OK?  When?   Seems like the same few users try to help those who do post?   What is going on?  Maybe the new VIRL manager can chime in? 

• 1. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
          the-packet-thrower

Eh I still like the product but the silence is getting annoying.

• 2. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
            smolz

Definitely going to have think hard about renewing the next time if there continues to be no updates.

• 3. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
              Fred P. Baker #3555

I have stopped using the product and will not renew, it is just to **** twitchy. Maybe for people who have time for 'NIX desktops, but I dont need tools support for the tools support for the tools that I use. Next live I will tell Chuck to either support the product as more than a science project to get it off the devops slides

• 4. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                Michael

Problem is to simulate hardware you need RAM and CPU power most users don't have.  

• 5. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                  Michael

30 Day notice on VIRL renewal.   Can't move ahead with simulations because server modes don't work.   No serial.    I am considering moving on to other certs from CompTIA and others that can get me the same money as CCNP without all the BS of Cisco.  Karlo said I would get help on Server nodes.   I get 4-5 accolades a week for helping others.  Simple things that should work in VIRL don't.   Packet Tracer is free and does it better.  

• 6. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                    Karlo Bobiles

Hello Michael,

Thank you very much for your valued feedback and I apologize about the delay in response.

I wanted to let you know that I’ve forwarded your feedback to the product manager for review. Please rest assured that VIRL is actively being enhanced and developed. We highly encourage you to continue checking this VIRL group or the following thread for any future news or announcements regarding VIRL updates.

ttps://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-30946

As for the issue with "Server Nodes", I've requested for an update from alegalle. Currently awaiting for his reply.

Thank you,

Karlo Bobiles

Cisco Learning Network

• 7. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                      Michael

March of 2018 was the last release.   Still doesn't do what we need to pass the CCNP exams.   That is why I invested $4000 into the HP server, Fortinet 60E firewall, and VIRL.   I wanted to be able to simulate everything I needed for the 3 exams.   My last CCNP Route exam was 11 Frame Relay questions.  VIRL can't do it.   The Ubuntu Server Nodes are missing Eth1 to connect to the simulation.  $200 a year for VIRL is a lot of money I can put into other certs that I can get done and make the same money from.   Explain why we don't have a beta release by now?  We have no information or timeline on the beta.  Alegalle seems too busy to look at my Server Node discussion from 2 weeks ago.  Today, I am at 30 days to my renewal of VIRL.  

• 8. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                        Peter McKenzie

Thanks for feedback. At our last Live I was discussing with other instructors if VIRL was up to the task of CCNP.

Also discussing costs of home equipment versus cost of personal VIRL.

• 9. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                          Michael

I never got a response or a fix for my issues.   I didn't renew my $200 license for a year old product.  I did wish it a Happy Birthday.  My son turned one about the same time as VIRL.  He is walking and getting more amazing each day.   If VIRL was a child, it would be in the NICU and the doctors concerned about it not improving quicker.

• 10. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                            VCR

I was at Cisco Live back in June 2018 at saw a beta version at the Cisco VIRL booth.  I signed up for the beta version and no one has contacted me.  Who can I contact for a follow up?

Thank you

• 11. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                              Peter McKenzie

I had a similar experience Victor.

Very strange they promote VIRL at the show but then don't do any follow ups.

• 12. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                                Michael

I didn't renew because 1.5 is over a year old like my son.  He can walk and it growing and expanding his knowledge.  We were promised 1.6 6+ months ago.   The few regular users on VIRL site make me think it is not a high selling or supported product by Cisco.  The fact it can't do much of the CCNP requirements, makes me think it is a after thought.  I have been on it for yearly.  I bought $4000+ setup for it.  https://wp.scsiraidguru.com has my stuff about VIRL and my sims.

• 13. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                                  Dyland

Hi Peter.  My name is Dyland and I am an instructor at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology.

We deployed a VIRl environment to be used for student labs in our 2 year Network Systems diploma program. 

Yes, I acknowledge the lack of serial interfaces or frame relay but the advantages of using VIRL far out-way these minor limitations.  The introduction of this technology into our lab has elevated our grads graduation outcomes and provided us the opportunity to give them labs that look like real environments they will find in industry.

I've been updating the subgroup on using VIRL as a instruction tool.  I've posted some PDF's on how VIRL has improved our program and I encourage you to have a look.

Dyland

• 14. Re: Is Cisco VIRL losing users?
                                    Peter McKenzie

Hi Dyland thanks for your reply

How did you defray the US$199 cost for each of your students?

or are you using a central server?

1 2 Previous Next