11 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2018 12:34 PM by Eric RSS

Increase Ports

Eric

I would like to know how to increase the number of ports that I can connect to on the nexus 9000 switches .  When I view all the interfaces in the switch I see 64 interfaces but am only able to physically use 9 ports.  How can I increase range of usable ports?

• 1. Re: Increase Ports
          Karlo Bobiles

Hello Eric,

While in VM Maestro > Design right click on the NX-OSv 9000 device and select Add Interface(s)... before building the configuration and running the simulation.

2018-11-07 15_56_39-VM Maestro.png

Thanks,

Karlo Bobiles

Cisco Learning Network

• 2. Re: Increase Ports
            Eric

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for the quick response, I have tried that but the only interface options I have are 1 -9,  so say I want to skip interface 8 and use interface 24 instead.  I was trying to mirror our physical setup. 

Thanks

Eric

• 3. Re: Increase Ports
              Eric

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for the quick response, I have tried that but the only interface options I have are 1 -9,  so say I want to skip interface 8 and use interface 24 instead.  I was trying to mirror our physical setup. 

Thanks

Eric

• 4. Re: Increase Ports
                Karlo Bobiles

Hey Eric,

Can you please do me a favor, within VM Maestro, navigate to File > Preferences > Node Subtypes. From there scroll down to NX-OSv 9000, what is listed under Max Interface?

2018-11-09 11_38_03-Preferences.png

Thanks,

Karlo Bobiles
                Cisco Learning Network

• 5. Re: Increase Ports
                  Eric

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for your response.  I checked that value and it is set to 9.

• 6. Re: Increase Ports
                    Karlo Bobiles

Hello Eric,

That explains it, we'll need to change that setting. If you scroll down that page, you'll see an option to "Fetch from Server"

Click "Apply" after, then "OK"

Please let me know if that updates the Max Interface count?

Thanks,

Karlo Bobiles

Cisco Learning Network

• 7. Re: Increase Ports
                      Eric

Hi Karlo,

Thanks for the response.

I just tried that and it still displays 9 ports.  Is there a setting on the server that needs to be updated?

• 8. Re: Increase Ports
                        Karlo Bobiles

Hello Eric,

Looping in alegalle for further insight. Please stand by.

Thanks,

Karlo Bobiles

Cisco Learning Network

• 9. Re: Increase Ports
                          Eric

Hi Karlo,

I was able to find the limitation on the server.   I am able to create a specialized subtype but it only allows me to add up to 29 ports. 

Default Container

Specialized Subtype

• 10. Re: Increase Ports
                            alejo-VIRL Support

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delayed response on this one. So, to clarify the difference of available port counts in VIRL PE vs. Nexus 9kv (.vmdk); the difference has to do on how the image is deployed.

When deploying N9kv as an individual virtual machine running in ESXi, KVM, or qemu, the image is not restrained by an additional layer as we have in VIRL. On those environments increasing the usable number of data ports is relatively easy and possible. The key word is usable, because we can see all 128 of the ports in a running N9kv virtual machine within a VIRL simulation. The limitation is simply resources and arguably the need for such a high number of data ports. Remember, VIRL PE is designed to test configuration changes and learning the use of any given supported platform.

In short, yes the Nexus 9000v image does support 128 ports but they are not all available for data transfer. The subtype in is limited to 9 ports and one line card.

• 11. Re: Increase Ports
                              Eric

Hi Alejo,

Thanks for the response. The image that Karlo posted with 64ports available whats the difference between that one and the one we are running?