13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2018 2:06 AM by Marwan Alshawi RSS

CCDP Arch Material for CCDE

johnpatricklopez

I can see that this is highly recommended for CCDE.

But there is already a 4th edition of the said book.

Should I get the 3rd edition or get the 4th one?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
          Juan

Hi johnpatricklopez

The two editions are very similar. The CCDE Learning Matrix references the one you already posted, the 3rd edition, but you can find very similar content in the 4th.

I would not buy the 4th if you already have access to the 3rd. If it's a new buy, go for the 4th. That's my advice.

Good luck in your studies.

• 2. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
            johnpatricklopez

Thanks man. I will just get the 4th edition then.

• 3. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
              johnpatricklopez

Hey Juan,

The link is redirecting to a different book now.

The text says, Designing Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH) Foundation Learning Guide: (CCDP ARCH 642-874), 3rd Edition.

But when you click the link, it goes to this.

TISO:DESIGNING CISCO NTW SER ARC_c3, 3rd Edition

http://www.ciscopress.com/store/tisodesigning-cisco-ntw-ser-arcc3-9781587142888

• 4. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                johnpatricklopez

Aaaah.. The 4th edition was written by Marwan Al-Shali. I do have a feeling that the content of the 4th edition is almost the same as the CCDE study guide due to the same author. I would rather to John Tiso to read something different.

• 5. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                  Elaine Lopes

Hi johnpatricklopez,

Let me start with a bit of history on the CCDE Learning Matrix. The goal was to match each blueprint topic with some learning resource. In the case of books, we mapped the chapter of the book that covered each specific blueprint topic. Some topics covered by the v3 of the Designing Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH) Foundation Learning Guide: (CCDP ARCH 642-874) by John Tiso align with the written blueprint one-to-one, such as switch clustering, redundancy, segmentation aligning with chapter 2. BTW I strongly recommend that you start approaching the Learning Matrix by self-evaluating.

Now, v4 of the Designing Cisco Network Service Architectures (ARCH) Foundation Learning Guide: (CCDP ARCH 642-874) by Marwan Al-Shawi and Andre Laurent touches on different subjects than v3 does, and does not map to the CCDE written blueprint although it is a good resource for the CCDE practical exam.

So my answer to which one would you get is "it depends" on where you are on your journey towards CCDE. Preparing for the written AND needing to improve on the technologies part of the written blueprint that v3 covers, get v3. Otherwise get v4.

Hope I got my point across and it helps you on your decision.

Cheers,
                  Elaine

• 6. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                    Juan

Hi johnpatricklopez

It's a good choice too. That way you're aligned with the Learning Matrix.

If you have enough time, I would recommend you to do what Elaine said: evaluate yourself. I would add... and get uncomfortable. Get out of your comfort zone. If you are comfortable and you avoid off-road tracks, you're going to get some flat tires once you change your way and get into the unpaved zone.

Good luck.

• 7. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                      johnpatricklopez

Thanks Juan. Studying CCDE is a really different animal for me. I have been studying CCIE R&S for the longest time but due to personal reasons I didn't pursue after failing a few times. I have been off studying for couple of years and CCDE is putting me back on track. I just need to arrange my thoughts and attack each topic systematically. Right now I am still trying to find the rhythm or the correct approach but I hope I can find it soon.  Looking at the topics is a bit discouraging at times but I will go for it.

• 8. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                        Juan

Hi johnpatricklopez

Yes, it's completely different. If you studied previously IE R&S topics, I'm sure that will help you to understand some of the technologies included in the DE blueprint, because it has much in common, specially in the routing protocols section. But try to evolve your mindset and focus on the design topics, not in the implementation and operational details. Practice smart-studying

Don't hesitate to get in touch or leave your questions in this study group. There are design expert around that can help.

• 9. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                          johnpatricklopez
                          • Thanks a bunch. That's what I have been practicing as I am an implementation engineer by nature and always curious how to make things work by means of actually doing it. It's actually a struggle to change that kind of behavior but this has to change and focus on what's more important. I really need that tip of yours of "smart studying". I would focus more on the matrix and make my own notes.
                          • 10. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                            Juan

You're welcome John.

• 11. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                              Elaine Lopes

Hi Juan,

Can't agree more that a design mindset, different from a CCIE mindset, is required to be successful at CCDE!

And I couldn't be more proud of this awesome community, always someone ready to help!

Cheers,
                              Elaine

• 12. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                                Juan

Hi Elaine

After the DE techtorial in Barcelona, I realized that one of the most important things to face the exam successfully was the change in the design mindset. It takes some time to IEs and engineers in any discipline, used to the low level designs in their daily work.

It helped me a lot to get a completely new perspective and progress in my studies and I hope it'll help much more people.

Thanks again.

• 13. Re: CCDP Arch Material for CCDE
                                  Marwan Alshawi

in my humble opinion, the 4th edition is more relevant to the DE, because it has updated info, the team worked on it all are CCDEs, as well as more details around L3 routing and network security design as well as DC and DCI design are added

that being said you may find some topics in the 3rd might be useful depends on the knowledge gaps that you need to fill

Hope this helps