14 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2019 3:59 AM by Gus RSS

Failed 300-115

jphelps747

So I failed the 300-115 exam Saturday and it kind of got me down. I needed a 790, but only got a 748. I was really bumped on Saturday. Test was a lot more difficult than I thought. I needed to pass because my CCNA lapses tomorrow. I spent $300 on the test and failed and I can't just drop another $325 to take the CCNA which I'm almost certain I can pass, so I will have to let my CCNA lapse and take it at the end of the month. Any advice because it was really disappointing to see the exam results.

• 1. Re: Failed 300-115
          arteq

first of all, you don't need me to say it, but always protect ccna at all costs. since you've passed ccna prior, i would take a step back, put a month or two of hard study into ccna composite, and nail it. it won't hurt in the long run, it will make you better,  300-115 is meaningless w/o ccna, so pick yourself up, brush off the pain, and get to work. hard lesson learned; for my money ccna is far more important than any one or all of ccnp combined.

you have accomplished this mission before, you will do it again.

good luck

• 2. Re: Failed 300-115
            Steven Davidson

jphelps747 wrote:

So I failed the 300-115 exam Saturday and it kind of got me down. I needed a 790, but only got a 748. I was really bumped on Saturday. Test was a lot more difficult than I thought. I needed to pass because my CCNA lapses tomorrow. I spent $300 on the test and failed and I can't just drop another $325 to take the CCNA which I'm almost certain I can pass, so I will have to let my CCNA lapse and take it at the end of the month. Any advice because it was really disappointing to see the exam results.

SWITCH is a tough exam and trips a lot of people up.  Don't feel bad.  The pass rate on SWITCH is probably the lowest of the three in that series (just a guess on my part).  It's just a lot more difficult to practice on those technologies because, of the three, it seems to be the one that requires actual hardware.  You have to lab, lab, lab every single feature from that exam topic list.  I guess what you do next really depends on how badly you need a Cisco certification.  Are you currently working as a Network Engineer (assuming yes but have to ask)?

• 3. Re: Failed 300-115
              Juergen Ilse CCNA R&S

Sorry to read, that you have failed. Unfortunately i have no advice for you. I haven't tried CCNP R&S yet ...

• 4. Re: Failed 300-115
                Peter McKenzie

I agree. I hated switch. I thought that there were sooooo many really obscure questions.

I passed by reading the book several times.

Listening to my "good friend" Jeremy nuggets

and Labbing, lots and lots of labbing,

• 5. Re: Failed 300-115
                  Jeffrey

Juergen, I am really suprised you haven't taken CCNP! Just don't feel like it? I know your knowledge across broad spectrum goes deep.

Jphelps747, I too was in your position I failed switch on first attempt with a lower score than yours. I turned that around by labbing every minor detail that I could possibly imagine. You have been shown the CCNP bar and it's quite a bit higher than CCNA but it is very doable. Good luck on your next attempt!

warmly,

JD

• 6. Re: Failed 300-115
                    Sourabh Saboo

Hii Buddy,

Don't be upset.

Even I also failed in CCNP Switch exam.

As per my advice look into your exam progress sheet and try to work hard in the fields where you need more studies.

Try try till you get success.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Failed 300-115
                      Simon

Morning, and sorry to hear that you failed the Switch exam. I'm still studying and I do have a little luxury in that I only just passed my CCNA R&S last week, so I do have the time. This doesn't help you though, sorry!

I guess it depends on how you studied for the exam, did you self-pace the content? I got an 880 on the CCNA R&S and the pass mark was 810. I think if I had the Cisco Press book and I did a classroom I would of done better. Everyone learns in different ways and it may be that like me, you could do with a classroom session on switching. You may find that being in a training room with a CCSI (Certified Systems Instructor) who has been there, done it and knows the content intimately, you'll figure things out that you wouldn't of considered from just reading the book.

Being in a classroom with outer people doing the same course is like a face-to-face study group too. You may pick up on mistakes they make and vice versa. You all learn together. The course content for the CCNA changed not so long ago so you may find that the content is different to what you studied before. Get you head down, get re-certified CCNA R&S and get yourself a 12 week classroom session on SWITCH booked. Give yourself every opportunity to get it passed.

Good luck!

SC

• 8. Re: Failed 300-115
                        quhines01

I just sat for 300-115 and I failed with a 757.  In looking over my score report, I see the sections that I really need to hone in on.  In reading the responses, I am glad that everyone has been so positive.  I really need that, since I was starting to get really negative since I did not pass.

• 9. Re: Failed 300-115
                          Peter McKenzie

That is a good idea, focus on the areas of exam you did badly in.

I havent used them so cant attest to efficacy but others have recommended Boson practice

300-115 SWITCH Practice Exam | Boson

I presume you have already looked at the material on this site

SWITCH Study Material

• 10. Re: Failed 300-115
                            Juergen Ilse CCNA R&S

quhines01 schrieb:

I just sat for 300-115 and I failed with a 757.

I'm sorry to read, that you failed this time.

In looking over my score report, I see the sections that I really need to hone in on.  In reading the responses,

It may be a good idea to concentrate on your weakest areas according to your score report. Next time, you will score better and pass. Good luck for your next attempt.

I am glad that everyone has been so positive.  I really need that, since I was starting to get really negative since I did not pass.

You are welcome.

• 11. Re: Failed 300-115
                              quhines01

I passed my Retake Today!  Now it is time to start on 300-101.

• 12. Re: Failed 300-115
                                Juergen Ilse CCNA R&S

Congratulations! Good work!

• 13. Re: Failed 300-115
                                  Peter McKenzie

well done on pass. a great relief for you i imagine

• 14. Re: Failed 300-115
                                    Gus

Hi quhines01,

Congratulations!!

Great achievement by passing your retake. 

Regards,

Gus