Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCENT/CCNA R&S Study Group > Discussions
This Question is Not Answered 1 Correct Answer available (4 pts) 2 Helpful Answers available (2 pts)
17374 Views 27 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2013 11:08 PM by Joshua Johnson - CCNP R&S RSS 1 2 Previous Next

Currently Being Moderated

Wendell Odom vs Todd Lammle

Apr 19, 2010 9:21 PM

gregsykes 513 posts since
Nov 30, 2009

I have Wendell Odom Edition ICND1 and I'm debating whether to go out and buy Todd Lammle's book. Does anybody know if it covers the same material? I really don't want to spend extra money if I don't have to.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Greg

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Apr 19, 2010 9:29 PM (in response to gregsykes)
    Re: Wendell Odom vs Todd Lammle

Each on is good in its own way.....It is like choosing Hersheys and Cadbury..... (I am a glutoon) My adivice if you are inexperienced ..... and just starting prep...Go for Todd Lammle first and then Wendell Odom...It will help....It will consolidate.. your position....WELL KINDLY NOTE I DO NOT MEAN TO UNDERMINE OTHER LIKE CBT NUGGETS, BRYANT... THEY ALL MUST BE GOOD, AND I FOLLOWED THIS AND IT WORKED...

• Angela 746 posts since
    Jan 29, 2010
    2. Apr 19, 2010 10:26 PM (in response to gregsykes)

I agree, each has its own advantage. I've read about a dozen books for CCNA, but Todd Lammle's book is the last one I read, I did regret for not reading it earlier. Lammle had a casual way of writing, as if he is talking to you personally.

However, if you have some foundation (already read a couple of CCNA books), I suggest Wendell Odom's book. It's the book of fun and challenge, if you want to pass CCNA easily, read Wendell Odom's book.

Best,

A

• Craig BostonMA 286 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    3. Apr 19, 2010 11:26 PM (in response to gregsykes)

I have read a bit of both authors & Odom is more full on & it feels more technical, whereas Lammie's writing seems more relaxed & easy going, not too sure which book is best though. I have heard alot of people say that to start out you should read Lammie & then further your knowledge with Odom. I did enjoy the Boson test that comes with Odom's book, does Lammie's book have a test/sim CD with it? I can't remember if mine did.

• Currently Being Moderated
    5. Apr 21, 2010 12:21 AM (in response to gregsykes)

Thank Greg i really appreciate you have taken our advice... some people just ask for the sake of ask... and make us look ordinary...by making up their mind... before..... they make up their mind before the query trying to cheat themselves..... and that paste of your order is really good.....Nice one dude good job......Do not think it will be an over load... it would not **** you if you get more practice.... And if you are just starting.. my advice would be to start with Todd Lammle.... finish it... and then go to Wendell Odom. I would say Wendell Odom should be last....Nice one..... i hope you really pass with flying colors... God bless you.....

Thanks

Bharat

• David Richards 19 posts since
    Jun 11, 2009
    6. Apr 21, 2010 3:37 AM (in response to gregsykes)

I wouldnt worry about being "ccent overload" as long as you keep moving forward you should be fine. I have a little saying, not sure if i picked up from some where but "you can never get all the facts from one book.

I am sure the more sources of information the better it will help you understand certain topics.

• Masked_King 139 posts since
    Mar 28, 2009
    8. Apr 21, 2010 12:57 PM (in response to gregsykes)

I suggest CBT Nuggets Subnetting before any books.  Hrmpfh.  That way it makes the Sybex Lammel more effective and gives you some confidence.  But I agree that Sybext first but then I would use Packet Tracer and then Exam Prep and finally Odom when you are ready to prepare for the exam.

• Zohaib 52 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010
    9. Apr 21, 2010 1:19 PM (in response to gregsykes)

Yeah i am also going with Todd Lemmle first as i find it easy going after finishing it i will look up to Wendell Odom ICND1 book before taking my CCENT Exam. I agree with all others it is the best Book combination.

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,396 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    10. Apr 22, 2010 3:08 AM (in response to Zohaib)

From the title of the thread, I thought we were going to be talking about Celebrity Deathmatch. 

(I would have voted for Wendell!)

• Zohaib 52 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010

yeah Celebrity wise i'll also go with wendell Odom

• Todd Lammle 76 posts since
    Jun 23, 2008
    12. May 5, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to Craig BostonMA)

It's "Lammle" btw, and yes there is a CD with 500 practice exam questions along with the 240 chapter review questions and 200 flash cards.

Cheers!

Todd "Lammle"

• Jared 5,498 posts since
    Jul 27, 2008

oooohhhhhh   yes!  Celebrity Deathmatch is the coolest!  How about we see Scott Morris vs Conwyn!

• CrimsonMR2 187 posts since
    Nov 20, 2009
    14. May 5, 2010 7:25 PM (in response to Todd Lammle)

toddlammle wrote:

It's "Lammle" btw, and yes there is a CD with 500 practice exam questions along with the 240 chapter review questions and 200 flash cards.

Cheers!

Todd "Lammle"

I'd take that mis-spelling over what I deal with on a day to day  basis any time...

Regards,

Jeffery Condon

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)