4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2019 10:07 AM by alejo-VIRL Support RSS

External Connections in VIRL 1.5.145

bbriggs

Hi,

Has anyone had problems getting external connectivity to work in Version 1.5.145?

I have been using Windows 10 and VM Workstation player. Windows 10 crashed and needed a rebuild and on downloading VIRL I received the latest version 1.5.145.

I carried out the steps that I required previously.

That is, I ran Windows Powershell as Administrator and pasted the following commands in,

cd "\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\"

./vnetlib64 -- add adapter vmnet2

./vnetlib64 -- set adapter vmnet2 addr 172.16.1.1

./vnetlib64 -- set vnet vmnet2 mask 255.255.255.0

./vnetlib64 -- update adapter vmnet2

./vnetlib64 -- add adapter vmnet3

./vnetlib64 -- set adapter vmnet3 addr 172.16.2.1

./vnetlib64 -- set vnet vmnet3 mask 255.255.255.0

./vnetlib64 -- update adapter vmnet3

./vnetlib64 -- add adapter vmnet4

./vnetlib64 -- set adapter vmnet4 addr 172.16.3.1

./vnetlib64 -- set vnet vmnet4 mask 255.255.255.0

./vnetlib64 -- update adapter vmnet4

./vnetlib64 -- add adapter vmnet5

./vnetlib64 -- set adapter vmnet5 addr 172.16.10.1

./vnetlib64 -- set vnet vmnet5 mask 255.255.255.0

./vnetlib64 -- update adapter vmnet5

I assigned the interfaces in VM Workstation so that the first bridges to physical LAN, the rest are Custom.

I went into /etc/network/interfaces.d/br1.cfg and added the line "  bridge_ports dummy1 eth1" as indicated below.

iface br1 inet static

address 172.16.1.254/24

netmask 255.255.255.0

bridge_maxwait 0

bridge_ports dummy1 eth1

bridge_stp off

post-up ip link set br1 promisc on

I saved this file and restarted the bridge interface.

sudo ifdown br1

sudo ifup br1

I validated the br1 status using this command in the VM, "brctl show br1"

bridge name    bridge id          STP enabled      interfaces

br1            8000.000c2968722f  no                   dummy1

eth1

HOWEVER I CANNOT PING THE FLAT NETWORK FROM MY WINDOWS 10 WORKSTATION WHICH I REQUIRE AS I NEED TO TRANSFER CERTIFICATES TO SOME ASA NODES.

Can anyone please assist?

• 1. Re: External Connections in VIRL 1.5.145
          alejo-VIRL Support

bbriggs please connect to UWM and navigate to VIRL Server > System Configuration > Shared Networks and make the appropriate changes there. Making changes via CLI is not a valid or supported method.

• 2. Re: External Connections in VIRL 1.5.145
            Jerry

alegalle I'm trying to use UWM to change the default Flat network's subnet from 172.16.1.0/24 to a custom subnet to match my lab environment. I entered the data in UWM and clicked "Apply Changes". It returns an error message "Some upgrade prerequisites are not met: Simulations are running". As far as I know, there are no simulations running. I stopped all simulations and closed VMmaestro. I even tried putting VIRL in maintenance mode prior to making the changes, with no success. Have you experienced this issue and have a solution? Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 1.59.35 PM.png

• 3. Re: External Connections in VIRL 1.5.145
              Jerry

Okay, I was able to find the issue. I went to the Overview page and toward the bottom it showed the user "guest" was running a jumphost. I'm not sure how or why, but I was able to manually stop it and saw this message. "Simulation "~jumphost" stop requested"

Shortly after that it said "No simulation found" and I was able to configure the Flat shared network with my lab IP addresses.

• 4. Re: External Connections in VIRL 1.5.145
                alejo-VIRL Support

So this is a known issue for a while now. When creating a topology in VM Maestro the default is to create an LXC jumphost for management and other tasks. This LXC is no longer required and can be turned off under the topology properties section. Just remove the tick from 'Use an LXC management node' and save settings.

Glad you were able to correct the problem.