The * means that this is a valid route and that BGP is able to use it.
The > means that this entry has been selected as the best path.
In your case:
The second line means the the network 10.10.12.0/30 is the best route, with Next Hop 10.10.24.1, weight 32768
they are ascribed local preference and weight attributes.. the order by precedence below:
- Highest weight (Cisco-proprietary BGP value)
- Highest local preference (LOCAL_PREF)
- Prefer locally originated route.
- Shortest AS_PATH is preferred.
- Choose route with lowest origin code. Internal paths are preferred over external paths, and external paths are preferred over paths with an origin of “incomplete”.
- Lowest multi-exit discriminator (MED)
- External BGP routes preferred over Internal BGP routes.
- If no external route, select path with lowest IGP cost to the next-hop router for iBGP.
- Choose oldest (most stable)
- Choose lowest BGP RID (Router ID).