5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2018 11:04 AM by Roland Renno RSS

LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer

Roland Renno

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to simulate a LAN-to-LAN topology in Packet Tracer between two Cisco 1841 enterprise routers, just like what I'm doing with my two home routers, where one end of an Ethernet cable is plugged into LAN port Fa0/1 on R1 (IP 192.168.1.1) and the other end is plugged into LAN port Fa0/1 on R2 (IP address 192.168.1.2) such that R2 is in bridge mode.

1- How do we set in Packet Tracer one of the Cisco 1841 enterprise routers to be in bridge mode?

2- Are the LAN ports on home routers, L2 or L3 interfaces?

• 1. Re: LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer
          Luke Savage

Hello Roland,

Firstly, your IP addressing scheme is wrong, assuming you're using /24 networks. You cannot (well you can, but it doesn't work well) have the same subnet in two different locations as this goes against the primary rules of IP routing. In the below statement "group" is referring to a network or subnet.

Wendell Odom wrote:

• All IP addresses in the same group must be separated from each other by a router.
          • IP addresses separated from each other by a router must be in different groups.

Roland Renno wrote:

1- How do we set in Packet Tracer one of the Cisco 1841 enterprise routers to be in bridge mode?

You can configure bridging using Bridge Virtual Interfaces as described here >> Understanding Bridge Virtual Interface (BVI) and Bridge Domain Interface (BDI) - Cisco

Checking in my PT and doesn't appear the bridge commands are supported though and it's out of scope of CCNA R&S. Should be able to do it in GNS3 though.

Roland Renno wrote:

2- Are the LAN ports on home routers, L2 or L3 interfaces?

LAN ports of home routers are usually L2 switched interfaces.

Hope that helps,

Luke

• 2. Re: LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer
            Roland Renno

Thanks Luke for your answer.

Well what I meant by my LAN-to-LAN topology is summarized by the attached picture, so it gives you a better representation of what I've done to my home routers. The second router has become like a switch.

step6.jpg

I wanted to simulate the same scenario in Packet Tracer with two Cisco 1811 routers, the reason why I asked how bridging works on the secondary Cisco 1811 router.

Regarding your answer to the LAN ports on a home router, you told me they are switch ports. So if an end device is plugged into one of those switch ports, it is assigned to the native VLAN, am I right?

• 3. Re: LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer
              Ing_Percy

Hi!

In packet tracer you can implement of this form, for example:

router-as-switch2.jpg

router-as-switch.jpg

*Modules HWIC-4ESW in both routers.

router-as-switch3.jpg

Best regards!

• 4. Re: LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer
                Luke Savage

Hi Roland,

Roland Renno wrote:

I wanted to simulate the same scenario in Packet Tracer with two Cisco 1811 routers, the reason why I asked how bridging works on the secondary Cisco 1811 router.

That will depend on the model for the home router, not sure if most will allow this to work. But in Packet Tracer, just setup the New Router interface as a DHCP client with a DHCP server running on the Primary Router and it should work. If I understand correctly.

Roland Renno wrote:

Regarding your answer to the LAN ports on a home router, you told me they are switch ports. So if an end device is plugged into one of those switch ports, it is assigned to the native VLAN, am I right?

Yes, on a home router. The Packet Tracer devices are all Cisco enterprise routers so you will need to add the appropriate modules to accomplish the same thing.

Luke

• 5. Re: LAN-to-LAN in Packet Tracer
                  Roland Renno

Thanks Luke and Percy.

Luke, your first answer resolved my issue with the link that you've given me related to BVI.