1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2019 12:14 PM by Jeff Rensink RSS

Certification Expiration Grace period

George

My Cisco Certs expire in 2 weeks and I am studying as we speak. If for some chance I fail is there a grace period after the expiration since I can't retake the test for a few days?

• 1. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
          Jeff Rensink

I'm pretty sure at the CCNA/NP level, there are no grace periods where your certification goes inactive like the CCIE does.  So once you pass your expiration date, you have to earn the certification all over again.

Check out the details at the link below on the How to Recertify tab.

Certifications - Training & Certifications - Cisco

• 2. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
            George

That sucks big time! At the very least we should have a grace period if we take a a recert test and fail. I stand to lose 4 certs if I fail. I'll hope for the best and make a big stink to Cisco if I fail.

• 3. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
              Rigo - Community Moderator

Hi George,

Unfortunately, there is no recertification grace period for Associate and Professional certifications. Please note that candidates are responsible for keeping track of their certification expiration dates (via their Certification Tracking System profile) and it is strongly recommended to give themselves enough time to complete the recertification requirements. If you are not able to pass a qualifying exam on or before the certification expiration date, you will be required to complete the requirements again to re-obtain each certification.

For more information, please feel free to review the "How to Recertify" page link that Jeff shared above.

We wish you the best of luck on your recertification efforts.

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• 4. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                Jeff Rensink

Yes, that would stink to lose all of your certs.

So while you do have a minimum wait time in between attempts of the SAME exam, you can attempt other exams without a waiting period.  If you pass most any NP level exam, it should recert all NA/NP certs.  So if there's an "easier" exam out there that might give you the recert that you need, you could give that one a try if your planned exam doesn't work out.

Just be sure to check that the exam will recert the certifications that you need before going for it.

• 5. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                  George

Thanks Rigo but like I said that sucks big time. It's typical of any business, all about the money.

• 6. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                    Jeff Rensink

In Cisco's defense, the rules on this are spelled out pretty clearly.  I know for me, I've gotten reminder emails about impending cert expirations often times 1 year in advance.  So they don't seem to try and keep us in the dark intentionally.

But, if you find yourself in the situation that you are for whatever the reason, it's very stressful indeed to think about the recognition of so many years of work going away.

Good luck with your recert attempts!

• 7. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                      George

I know, i did get the emails. But what I am saying is that all should not be lost if we are actively trying to recertify. If I attempt to take a test and I fail then there should be a grace period to retake. If I don't attempt before the expiration of my certs then I understand if they expire.

I'll hope for the best, if I fail then so be it. I won't be going for all the certs again.

• 8. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                        arteq

any higher level recerts renews all below...

• 9. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                          wfmaguire

I know how you feel.  I have a cert coming up for recertification and am considering just letting my certs go since Cisco loves to change an exam and not bother having the new study guide come out for ages after that.  Thats been the story with Wireless for ages and studying is agonizing with nothing but the "road map".  Good luck!

• 10. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                            George

I'm not sure what to do now. I think I'll hold off or maybe just do CCNP R/S. Thanks for all the feedback.

• 11. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                              arteq

sorry to hear that...

• 12. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                                Mark

I just took my recertification and failed today was renewal day. Didn’t have the time to prepar. Just lost 6 certifications I’ve held for over 6 years. There has to be something Cisco can do. I am not sure if not so be it I can save the $$$.

• 13. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                                  Rigo - Community Moderator

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry to hear that your certifications expired. For successful recertification, candidates are required to pass a qualifying exam on or before the certification expiration date (as mentioned above). Unfortunately, since you were not able to pass the recertification exam, you will need to repeat the exam track for each expired certification in order to become certified again. All the best!

Regards,

Rigo

Cisco Learning Network Moderator

• 14. Re: Certification Expiration Grace period
                                    obeauche

I think that's bogus and unfair on the part of Cisco. If the exams are going to be updated, as they should be, then the learning materials need to keep pace with the exams.  If they don't, Cisco is disadvantaging certification and re-certification candidates and frankly, positioning them for failure while Cisco profits. Or at least it appears this way...

True, Cisco does email and publish the rules - but if the E level exams have a grace period and the E level exams don't require prerequisites, it smacks of Cisco wanting to make money off failed attempts for the larger masses who attempt the A and P level exams vs. fostering a learning environment and a learning path.  Insult to injury is when Cisco puts their thumb on the scale by changing an exam and not providing learning materials at the same time.

Frankly, if a candidate for re-certification is actively attempting to re-certify - i.e. obviously taking exams or registered to take exams within some reasonable time frame of the expiry date - it seems cruel in many ways to force them to go back to square one, and doesn't really take into account that some employers or contracts might hinge employment or compliance on the holding of a current certification. Scenarios like this could place employees and Cisco partners and Cisco projects in jeopardy. Something to consider...

Lastly, not having a grace period really doesn't account for extenuating circumstances which can't be planned for - injuries, job requirements, family/life events.  That alone makes the lack of a grace period unreasonable.  I urge Cisco to seriously reconsider this policy to make it more fair and accommodating for those who are and having been committed Cisco students and advocates.

#unfair recert #graceperiod #bereasonable #befair @Cisco @ChuckRobbins  @LearningatCisco

1 2 3 Previous Next