3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2010 10:28 PM by Ryan Ruckley CCNP RSS

TX+ TX- RX+ RX-

Hi all

I know TX+ TX- is Transmit & RX+ RX- is Receving

what exactly does TX+ and TX- means & how data is transmitted 

• 1. Re: TX+ TX- RX+ RX-

HI CCNA

We talk about 0 and 1     but often they are voltages. So what is zero and one.

RX-   is the base voltage.  So by examine RX+  you can say does RX+ = RX-  then zero otherwise if RX+ is significantly greater than RX- then one.

So the word significant means that RX- and RX+ are different enought not to be caused by natural electrical properities of the cables and connectors.

Obviously it is a bit more complex than this.

Regards Conwyn

• 2. Re: TX+ TX- RX+ RX-

Thanks Conwyn

what if RX- is greater than RX+ ?

• 3. Re: TX+ TX- RX+ RX-
              Ryan Ruckley CCNP

I had always thought that TX+ and TX- represented the differential pair that comprises the TX signal. Since all CAT5 etc cables are done in differential pairs this was how the individual signals are labelled.

Thus TX+ is the exact opposite of TX-. The two combined will give you zero but fed into a differential amp and you have a signal. Thus noise induced on both cancels out whilst signal that is opposite on both carries through the amp.

Does that sound right? Obviously same goes for RX. I guess I'm saying the same thing as you but from a different angle. My understading was that if TX+ == TX- then that didn't mean anything signal wise and that it was more like TX+ == 12V and TX- == -12V gives one symboll whilst , TX+ == -12V and TX- == +12V gives the other.

Though my manchester encoding may be getting foggy...