5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 25, 2017 5:57 AM by Leonardo RSS

Things to consider when buying a switch

Watchman

I just wanted to see if someone could help me find the best switch for our business needs.

We currently have two old 24 port switches running on 10/100. This is a small business with about 15 users at this site. The bigger picture in the end is connecting with the various different businesses using different domains, which is under 300 users possibly. I do believe we probably are going to want to be able to do some video conferencing and skype across on the locations, although each location is unique. I am not sure if a layer3 switch is actually needed.

I am thinking all we need is just a simple 2960 single 48 port switch preferably 10/100/1000.

Where is the best place to purchase this switch, and what else needs to be considered such as licensing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Things to consider when buying a switch
          Steven Davidson

You have 15 users but you want a 48-port switch?  How many ports are you currently using between the two 24-port switches?

The bigger picture in the end is connecting with the various different businesses using different domains, which is under 300 users possibly.

I don't understand this part.  What do you mean by this?

I do believe we probably are going to want to be able to do some video conferencing and skype across on the locations, although each location is unique.

How do you currently connect locations together?  Does this site already have a proper router?

• 2. Re: Things to consider when buying a switch
            Watchman

Well I just started this position this week, out of both 24 port switches only about half of the lights are on, but there are cables plugged into all of the ports except about 8 ports. I know they are going to add some more new hires fairly soon.

This is unique in that there are multiple different types of businesses under one business. None of them are connected together.

I am not sure if it has a proper router. I believe there is a 5505.

• 3. Re: Things to consider when buying a switch
              Leonardo

Hi Watchman,

The first thing you need to clarify is how many users are you going to plug into that switches.Then you have to consider your basic network infrastructure. Will this network  support more people in the future?

I will say you have to determine the network needs of the users: Power Over Ethernet, QoS, Voice & Video, etc.

What will be the role of that switch on the network? It will be a core L3, or an access L2? considering this you will choose the IOS  license according to your needs.

Where to buy? The safest place is to go with an authorized partner reseller.

You can find one on  the link below according to the country you are living .

Partner Locator

HTH

Leonardo

• 4. Re: Things to consider when buying a switch
                Watchman

Hi Leonardo,

I would like to clarify that for right now as far as basic network infrastructure goes.

What equipment would I need to setup VoIP at my house along with 1 router and 1 security appliance for 15 users?

Additionally, I would like to do the same setup at my dad's house, so they could talk to one another, and perhaps do video conferencing via Skype. And two wireless access points at each both my house and my dads.

???

1st site

2960 X switch

2900 Series router

2500 Series controller

5506 or 5505 ASA (I do not know if 5505 or end of life/out of date? How could I determine this?)

2nd site

2960 X switch

2900 Series router

2500 Series controller

5506 or 5505 ASA (I do not know if 5505 or end of life/out of date? How could I determine this?)

I suppose using Skype, then I would not need Cisco WebEx. If not, Phone 7800 Series

• 5. Re: Things to consider when buying a switch
                  Leonardo

Hi Watchman, for that scenario you can use a Router with a Service-Ready Engine (SRE) in which you can have a vWLC. In the same equipment you can have a Cisco Unified Call Manager Express and Zone-Based Firewall configured to granted the security in your home network. If your budget allow you to buy an ASA 5505 or 5506 that would be fine too.

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco ASA Advanced Inspection and Prevention Security Services Card (AI…

Regards