Skip navigation
Cisco Learning Home > CCDE Study Group > Discussions
5445 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2010 3:33 PM by Brandon Carroll - CCIE (Security) RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Looking for a good Training company

Apr 1, 2010 6:06 PM

jaymos 5 posts since
Sep 23, 2009

I've taken the DESGN class from Ascolta. It was marginal.

So I'm looking to take the ARCH class and the BGP class in the next 3 months.

Does anyone have any input on a good training company to use.

I found the Tech 2000 Inc. has alot of listings on the Cisco Training link, however their website is broken and looks to not be updated for the past 2 years, YIKES!!!

I'm a little frightened to go with a training company that can't even pay for a working website.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

• Scott Morris - CCDE/4xCCIE/2xJNCIE 8,398 posts since
    Oct 7, 2008
    1. Apr 1, 2010 6:48 PM (in response to jaymos)
    Re: Looking for a good Training company

My thinking on this...  You're doing things backwards.

Find a class based on the instructor.  Ascolta, Tech2000, CCBootcamp, Global Knowledge, NiL, Skyline-ATS, Sunset Learning, whatever CLP we're talking about will teach the SAME essential classes.  That's the good and bad part about the concept.  So with that, it becomes cookie-cutter.  So, you can make your decision based on overall reputation, or quality of web site, or quantity of inane marketing materials that go out...  But in the end, the quality of your SPECIFIC class is going to be solely based on the instructor.

I will guarantee you that you can have people from each of the CLPs teach the same class, and you can get COMPLETELY different results out of the classes.

IMHO T2K isn't worth spending any of your money on.  Ascolta used to be quite well known but appears to have shrunk over the years and that may have had some effect as you saw.  Skyline has some very good people still working for them.  NiL is a highly technical group of people, although they are based in Slovenia, so I'm not sure whether they do training over on this side of the pond!

Use Cisco's Learning Partner Locator and figure out ALL of your options in the area(s) you are looking to take a class.  Then spend time digging into the instructor you'll get and their background/capabilities/history.  That way you'll get the most bang for your buck.

HTH,

Scott

• Mark Pugh 4 posts since
    Jun 25, 2008
    3. Apr 19, 2010 9:40 AM (in response to jaymos)

I remember when David Clark, and Brad Ellis of CCBOOTCAMP first wrote their curriculum for CCDE.  Almost 2 years ago.!

I had a chance to provide review comment on it, and I do believe Russ White got a copy for his review.

At first, there were some major errors but, over time they have slowly revised the course to be really close to the cisco blueprint.

I still have my version 2.0 and beta copies and it has evolved over time.

Plus, one of the Instructors is or has taken and passed the CCDE written test, so I am led to believe.

For now, with some immaturity in this arena, I would stick with the CCBOOTCAMP guys.  They show up at Networkers a lot, and are located in Las Vegas.

I would be curious how your experience with them works out.

Regards,

Mark

• CCBOOTCAMP - CCIE 228 posts since
    Sep 11, 2008
    4. Apr 19, 2010 12:19 PM (in response to jaymos)

Jeremy Filliben, who is a current CCDE #2009003, is teaching quite a few of our CCDE classes. Feel free to email me offline for more detail.

• Brandon Carroll - CCIE (Security) 231 posts since
    Jun 26, 2008
    5. Jun 10, 2010 3:33 PM (in response to jaymos)

James,

Sorry to hear about the experience.  I'm back at Ascolta and I teach the BGP class.  I think it's a fantastic class and one of my personal favorites.  At any rate, if you want to chat about it let me know.  I'd also be interested to see if the issue was with material or more on the instructor side.

Shoot me a message when you have a moment.  -brandon.carroll@ascolta.com

Regards,

Brandon Carroll

Ascolta

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)