8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 7, 2019 11:52 PM by Ismael da Silva Mariano RSS

BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested

Waleed Dilawar Chughtai

Hello,

I have recently completed by schooling and now I am ready to start by Bachelors however I need suggestions with the following questions:

Q1: Which degree should I pursue? Is BSc Computer Networks / BSc Cyber Forensics worth it or are these just worthless degrees? Please explain this to me.

Q2: Which university would be the best in the UK for these degrees?

Q3: What would be the best oppurtunity for me after completitng this degree?

I know certifications are quite important, I hold many right now, I am totally involved into data centers, networking and web hosting / data center services right now in terms of doing internships and all, so as my interest is purely in networking, I would be doing CCNA CCDA etc as well, so please recommend me a degree and further path.

Best Regards,

Wally

• 1. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
          Akshay

Id recommend that you concentrate on getting the degree.U could try BSc Cyber Forensics given there s plenty of scope of engineering lacking in this area.Experience is first compared to certifications,If you do well and get into a good company and gain good experience you could go wherever you want.Certifications like CCNA are just waste of time inspite of all that hype on the internet.We are just making the company rich by paying exam fees.I completed my CCNA 2 years back and still looking for networking  job despite my good academics

• 2. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
            Waleed Dilawar Chughtai

hello,

thanks for the information. I don’t understand why dont many universities offer forensics or metworking degrees directly instead they try to include it as a module in computing science and programming has never been my cup of tea therefore I cant make it to a Rusell Group university.

Questions for readers:

Q1: Which degree should I pursue? Is BSc Computer Networks / BSc Cyber Forensics worth it or are these just worthless degrees? Please explain this to me.

Q2: Which university would be the best in the UK for these degrees?

Q3: What would be the best oppurtunity for me after completitng this degree?

• 3. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
              Conwyn

Hi Waleed

You should choose a degree subject that you will enjoy. After three years you will have a job for 45 years. It is highly likely that technology will change over the 45 years so the ability to learn is the most important thing and that is easy if you enjoy the subject.

Regards Conwyn

• 4. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
                Waleed Dilawar Chughtai

hello,

fhanks for your reply. Yeah i agree to that and i guess networking would be the best. But I cant seem to decide on the university. Can someone share which university in the UK/Scotland has the largest CISCO Lab?

• 5. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
                  Gary

hi Waleed,

I'm in my 4th year at Robert Gordon University (RGU) in Aberdeen doing Computer Network Management and Design. They have a good set up when it  comes to Cisco labs, they also, in your 3rd have the opportunity to go on placement, these are mostly up in Aberdeen so if you don't live in Aberdeen you will have to be able to drive because all the companies when you go for an interview will ask you if you drive.

RGU also, if I remember correctly have the highest employment rate for students after leaving uni if you are on the networking course (research this for yourself, but I think I'm correct.

hope this kind of helps you.

• 6. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
                    Waleed Dilawar Chughtai

Hello Akshay,

Thank you for your response and please accept my apologies in responding to this post.

I would say though we do CCNA R&S we can always proceed to other disciplines as desired however CCNA seems to be the base at networking. Hope you would have found a job by now, how are you with the progress on your job right now?

• 7. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
                      Waleed Dilawar Chughtai

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your response

Please accept my apologies for the delayed response however hope you have graduated by now and have found a great job

• 8. Re: BSc Degree Suggestions urgently requested
                        Ismael da Silva Mariano

Hello,Waleed!  How are you doing?

Welcome to the CLN, here you can find material and people to learn more and more about networking. Besides learning networking, we have a mission to certificate our members ! In this mission we help each other as many as possible.

Sorry for my english, i am not from a native english spoken country, i am from Brazil! Here our official language is portuguese.

I have Bsc as electronic engeneering but since my internetship i began to work with networking. Networking is an area with many opportunities to grow up.

As of your questions, here how i see them :

1) Which degree should I pursue? Is BSc Computer Networks / BSc Cyber Forensics worth it or are these just worthless degrees? Please explain this to me.

To begin with, start with BSc Computer Networks , will improve your knowledge and is the basis for all other areas in IT.

2) Which university would be the best in the UK for these degrees?

Don´t know the  universities in UK, here in Brazil we heard a lot about Cambridge University and Oxford University. A good university is very important in your career . You can also try a Bsc in computer science, gives you a more general knowledge in IT. Networking you can study more here with the certifications, just an idea.

3) What would be the best oppurtunity for me after completitng this degree?

I think it is important to look for an opportunity as an intern in a great company, try to be in a company even as an intern during your last semester in the university. Also can try a position as a junior engineer or analyst. And , of course, continue your specialization with the certifications, here the goal is CCIE. Choose the path, and study!!!!

As i understood you already have certificatios in DC , right? Go ahead with this and pursue a CCIE.

I hope you continue with us in CLN, and obtain your Bsc degree and CCIE certification!

All the best and success!