1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 31, 2017 12:54 PM by Steven Davidson RSS

Where does backplane fit in the device planes?

Minal

Hi,

I found this article Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches - Cisco

Which basically says inter VLAN routing happens on the back plane of a layer 3 switch

But my textbook only explains what are data plane, control plane and management plane.

So is back plane another name for one of these, or part of one of them, or a group of them, or a fourth plane?

Thanks & Regards

Minal

Studying for ICND1 R&S

• 1. Re: Where does backplane fit in the device planes?
          Steven Davidson

The backplane is something different.  I think what that Cisco document is describing is basically that a packet which is moved from one VLAN to another VLAN is not serialized like it would be if it were transmitted onto a physical medium such as Ethernet.  It's likely simply moved around in memory (which would happen very, very fast) and so there's really no practical bandwidth setting that you'd apply to the logical SVI interface.  If you're familiar with Hypervisors (such as ESXi) which switch traffic between VMs in memory.  For that in-memory switching of traffic, what would assign to the "bandwidth".  It's a similar concept.