Cisco Learning Home > CCNA Security Study Group > Discussions
7102 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2010 7:19 PM by Leo Pastor RSS

Currently Being Moderated

Requirements for CCNA Security

Mar 29, 2010 7:19 AM

Pugal 18 posts since
Sep 4, 2009

Hi folks,

I am ccie security written qualified, is there any prerequiste for ccna security exam. the portal saying that ccna or ccie certification, whether its ccie written can act a prequisite for the ccna security exam, of i need to give ccna?

Regards,

Pugal

• joel araujo 66 posts since
    Mar 9, 2009
    1. Mar 29, 2010 9:30 AM (in response to Pugal)
    Re: Requirements for CCNA Security

Pugal,

as per cisco's own site

CCNA Security Prerequisites
    Valid CCNA or any CCIE Certification can act as a pre-requisite.

Don't mind me asking, but, if you're CCIE certified, why would you want to take the ccna security exam?

kind regards,

Joel

• Cyrus 296 posts since
    Nov 14, 2009
    3. Mar 29, 2010 9:54 AM (in response to Pugal)

Hello

prerequisite for CCSP if you have not got a CCIE yet is a ccna-security. I hope this answers your query.

Mar 9, 2009
    4. Mar 29, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Pugal)

Pugal,

the career track for security, starts with the CCNA Security, then you havve the CCSP exams, with ccna security as pre-requisite, the you have the CCIE Written, that gives you all certifications below, (CCNA Security+CCSP)

CCNA SecurityCCSPCCIE Security

You should check your emails from cisco,but is my understanding that you're already a CCNA Security certified, plus CCSP certified as well.

regards,

Joel

Mar 9, 2009
    5. Mar 29, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to joel araujo)

it looks I've been wrong all this time about the cisco career track!!

Requirements for Certification

There are no formal prerequisites for CCIE certification. Other  professional certifications or training courses are not required.  Instead, candidates must first pass a written qualification exam and then the corresponding hands-on lab exam.

http://www.ciscosystems.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/security/index.html

• CrimsonMR2 187 posts since
    Nov 20, 2009
    6. Mar 29, 2010 7:49 PM (in response to Cyrus)

I agree with cyruslok,

I read over the CCIE requirements and found it a bit odd that you didn't need to pass the lower certs to be eligable to take the CCIE certification.  A little odd but I guess Cisco say if you can pass the CCIE then the lower certs don't really hold any water for you anyhow... you've got a expert certification!

The way I am understanding your scenerio is that you don't have the CCIE (fully yet, once you pass the lab you within the two years of having taken and passed the written you'll have the coveted CCIE).

That would mean to me that you first need to take and pass the CCNA (composit or ICND1 and ICND2) before being eligable to take the CCNA Security track.  Also because technically you have not passed the CCIE, you have two years to complete the lab portion before your written portion expires.

If you work from the bottom up, each higher cert renews all your lower certs.  I believe if you have the expert CCIE cert you can take any of the other certification paths and it will renew the CCIE cert you hold for 2 years, and any other lower cert for 3 years.

• yao 11 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    7. Mar 30, 2010 4:24 AM (in response to Pugal)

Hi Guys ,

I succesfully passed ccna security exam in October  and i did not receive any message from Cisco . However when i logged into person vue site , i could see that i really passed the exam.

Thus i passed ccna 640-802 10 days  back , this time i received a congratulation email from Cisco learning team!!!!

And under certification fulfillement  both certifications were listed , but previously they were not .

So from this experience  , i can say that cisco' s certifications should be taken from  the bottom to the top .

Otherwise you can send much money in higher certification which will not be delivered , because you did not have the  prerequiste.

• Currently Being Moderated
    8. Apr 1, 2010 12:03 AM (in response to CrimsonMR2)

Message was edited by: John Kiehnle

• Currently Being Moderated
    9. Apr 1, 2010 12:04 AM (in response to Pugal)

Message was edited by: John Kiehnle

• CrimsonMR2 187 posts since
    Nov 20, 2009

Thanks for the corrections and clarifying the pre-qualification requirements.

• ciscoskeemz 462 posts since
    Jul 10, 2008
    11. Mar 30, 2010 6:26 PM (in response to joel araujo)

This thread is out of control...

Just FYI....passing the CCIE Written exam does not give you CCNA Security and/or CCSP certifications.....even passing the CCIE Written and Lab exam doesn't give you a CCNA Security /CCSP.....it gives you CCIE Security

As mentioned, the CCIE Written exam is simply just a qualification exam which means you are allowed to sit for the CCIE lab exam.......until you pass both, you are not a "CCIE"

Best of luck to everyone.

Mike

• Leo Pastor 124 posts since
    Jun 27, 2008
    12. Mar 30, 2010 6:58 PM (in response to ciscoskeemz)

Wow, this is REALLY becoming HOT.

I just ran into this thread, and am surprised with the level of discussion taking place here.

Passing the CCIE Security *Written* exam does NOT  give you ANY CERTIFICATION. Of course it is a HUGE acomplishment, but it is just a(n important) step towards the CCIE Security Certification, PROVIDED THAT you take and pass the corresponding Lab Exam ONLY after passing the written exam.

Lets get back to the forums, take it easy, and continue discussing important and meaningful things!

• Leo Pastor 124 posts since
    Jun 27, 2008
    13. Mar 30, 2010 7:19 PM (in response to Pugal)

Your question is already answered by Cyruslok, but if you want more information, please take a look at the CCNA Security page at http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le0/le1/learning_certification_type_home.html

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)